The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I purchased a 2000 Ex with the 7.3 power stroke and 244.000 miles. This is more of a matter of academic interest than anything else since the truck starts and runs great and pulls strong. Under sedate driving conditions I rarely hear this but if I get a heavy foot and accelerate fast I hear a very noticeable whoosh sound at gear changes When I am towing my 9500 lb travel trailer I hear the whoosh pretty much continuously. I initially though it was a blow off valve working, but a little reading and I learned that there isn't one. Is it the wastegate running? Anyone else hear anything like this? Also, the highest boost I have seen the truck make is about 14 or 15 PSI, is that normal for a mostly stock 7.3? I have done a 6637 air filter mod and the truck has a Superchips Flashpaq, I typically run the heavy tow tune when towing and the performance tune the rest of the time.
Thanks in advance!
MDH

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Hello,
I purchased a 2000 Ex with the 7.3 power stroke and 244.000 miles. This is more of a matter of academic interest than anything else since the truck starts and runs great and pulls strong. Under sedate driving conditions I rarely hear this but if I get a heavy foot and accelerate fast I hear a very noticeable whoosh sound at gear changes When I am towing my 9500 lb travel trailer I hear the whoosh pretty much continuously. I initially though it was a blow off valve working, but a little reading and I learned that there isn't one. Is it the wastegate running? Anyone else hear anything like this? Also, the highest boost I have seen the truck make is about 14 or 15 PSI, is that normal for a mostly stock 7.3? I have done a 6637 air filter mod and the truck has a Superchips Flashpaq, I typically run the heavy tow tune when towing and the performance tune the rest of the time.
Thanks in advance!
MDH
The sound you hear is the turbo, for lack of a better term, burping. The air filter allows more air in than the turbo can push threw the intake plus the factory air filter was a closed system so you could not hear the whoosh. I changed the compressor wheel to a Wicked Wheel on my 99.5 and the sound went away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts