The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 e350.
Between the fuel pump and the filter there is a section of the line that's about an inch across and it has a wire coming from it.
It's not shown in my repair manual. My guess is it's a line heater.

I'm asking because I'm about to remove the mechanical fuel pump and switch to two electric pumps down on the frame and I'd like to know if I need that thing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Do you need a fuel heater?

You don't say where you live or drive.

If you ever drive in the cold and you don't mind sitting on the side of the road waiting for the filter to un-gel, then no you don't need the fuel heater.

Hawgman, I had a kenworth gel up just north of Houston one-time, you might want to reconsider not needing a fuel heater. Same trip in the same truck also gelled up in southern Mississippi, the Florida pan-handle, Tennessee and Oklahoma. It was a cold trip.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know if you bend it it will catch on fire, I have a new one but I havent replaced it yet, ive seen about 20 degree nights and I havent had a problem yet, but I plan on changing it here real quick

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If you ever drive in the cold and you don't mind sitting on the side of the road waiting for the filter to un-gel, then no you don't need the fuel heater.
I live near Dallas, but I travel sometimes.

But you're saying the point is to heat the filter, so I guess the thing to do is move the heater down to the frame just before the new diesel filter and/or pump.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Fuel heaters are federally mandated on automotive diesels. Their purpose is to heat gelled fuel enough to pass through the filter so you can start the engine. I've never actually seen one do this.
I live in northwestern Canada and tonite it's -25. Many, many diesel owners around here have their fuel heaters disconnected permanently. If you live in an area that doesn't winterize diesel you can protect yourself much better by adding an anti-gel to your fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts