The Diesel Stop banner

Wheel Restoration

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
The wheels on my ‘02 PSD Lariat look terrible. It looks like the aluminum is corroding under a plastic like clear coat. I can get the brake dust off but the corrosion looks awful. How can I fix this? And lots of elbow grease is okay!

#2 ·
I had to refinish the wheels on my 99 Crown Vic It was a lot of work. I sanded them down to the aluminum and repainted them. I used Duplicolor wheel base and clear coat. I sanded them down and taped the tire off from the wheel and went to town. Wheels have held up good. You dop need to leave the surface ruff so the primer has something to hold on to.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Ford crown victoria
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Wood Circle
Ball Soccer ball
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part

#3 ·
I looked for the photoes I took when I was doing the JOB but couldn't find them. I had to do one wheel twice. which means i sanded all the paint off and start over. Take your time and don't be in a hurry. You need to l;et the paint flash off. Follow the directions. I bet youtube can help there. Mine still look nice after 2 years. I do however live in Ca. Pleas feel sorry for me. LOL

#4 ·
I had similar issues with my aluminum wheels on the truck. I sanded the corroded spots, trying to match the underlying pattern, then had them sprayed with a POR15 product called Glisten PC. They came out pretty well. If they're clean and you look closely, you can see the repair spots with a slight difference in appearance from the original. That's been a few years ago, and they're doing OK. But whenever they get a rock chip, the corrosion starts up again, lifting the coating and crawling underneath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.