The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 'takeoffs' from a co-worker. They have a '06 F-250. They got new wheels and tires. I have a '03 F-250 and thought I would try to use theirs (7K miles vs 45K miles).

I got them and looked at them. First off they are 17" and mine are 16". Not a problem since the tire height is the within (.25 to .5"). I noticed that the dish on the wheel is deeper on my wheels then theirs (probably not the technical term).

I went to a tire store and had them START to put them on. They put one of the front ones on and it would not spin. The steering rod joint was hitting the inside of this 'new' wheel. Looking at it I could see the wheel seemed inset more in the wheel well. That is, the wheels did not come out to the edge of the truck like the 'old' ones.

Is there that much difference in the '06 and '03 chassis to make this much difference in the wheels. Are there options for some type of spacer to get the wheel away from the steering joint? Or just get some after market 17's that fit and use the tires?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The term your looking for is "offset", yes they are quite different on the 05-06 wheels than earlier. I believe there are spacers avail a lot cheaper than different wheels. I'm sure someone else will have a link for them posted shortly.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
There is a major difference, the 05/06 has coil spring suspension and the 03 has leaf springs(front). In the redesign they changed the offset of rims. With this change they changed rear to have same offset front and rear. Can not help you w/options, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Is there that much difference in the '06 and '03 chassis to make this much difference in the wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Bolt pattern is the same, but the '05 up 17" SRW wheels are 7.5" wide while the older 16" SRW wheels are 7" wide, and offset/inset is a bunch different.

'99 to '04 SRW wheels have a 0.25" offset.

'05 up SRW wheels have a 1.57" inset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts