The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am about done with my new 6.0. I was wondering how long I should run it before changing the oil and filter. I going to start it on Rotella 15W40 semi synthetic but want to switch to Rotella 5W40 synthetic for the winter. I'm just not sure how long I should let it go before changing. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I just don't want to leave it in there too long and end up with issues from the assembly lube getting into the injectors, turbo, oil cooler ect.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I talked to a gentleman today that builds Diesel engines for a living and he recommends Rotella triple T for the first start up and change it after 1500 to 2000 miles.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I wold not use anything with synthetic in it until its broken in. Synthetic is so slick it can actually keep the rings from seating in. There are new vehicles that come from the factory with synthetic oil in them, but they use a special honing process that basically seats the rings immediately upon start up. That process hasn't trickled down to the average machine shop yet from what I've heard.

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
I'm with Nick - change it after 500 miles. I don't care about the assembly lube, but I want to get out all the wear particles from new materials mating.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would think full NON synthetic for 5kish miles. Change at 500 and 5k. No rush on the synthetic. You only get one chance.

Here is lots of reading about non-synthetic oil and getting a good hard load on it quick......

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hard break in makes sense. I might try that for the first 20 miles like it says. Its true what it says ( you only get 1 shot at seating the rings). I'm definitely changing the oil after 500 miles. I don't want to leave the metal particles in there for too long. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
Just pick one of the majors and stick with it. I'd say the majority of us run Rotella with Delo, Valvoline, and Motorcraft being other popular favors.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Rotella T5 15W40. I ran that for years with no issues. It is the factory spec oil as well. I switched to T6 5W40 at 120k because I installed a new set of injectors and thought anything I could do to prolong their life was worthwhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts