The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I read an editorial bemoaning the loss of civility in this country. While some of the examples the author mentioned I regarded as trivial many others I did agree with. All in all I shared his feeling regarding a loss in the basic quality of life. We seem no longer to value others and seem to have forgotten the golden rule---treat others in the same way you would like to be treated.
As long as I have been visiting this site it was not uncommon to take little shots at each other, and even ourselves with a bit of humor. I did that as much as anyone.
Unfortunately, it seems that we are now beyond any element of humor and attacking people with a sense of meanness and ridicule. Now someone posts information that they think may have value to others, and they get jumped on because they should have already known that. Someone else posts a subject on care of his or her paint, and they get jumped on because they act as if their truck is a Rolls. I am sorry, but my truck may just be as close to a Rolls as I will get. $40,00 or $200,000 doesn't matter I value it just the same. BTW, neither one of these were my posts.
Ironically I chided Frederick a few nights ago about lightening up regarding a statement made by someone else in humor that Frederick took to heart.
This is different, these are not comments made in humor; these are personal attacks, which I think can ultimately bring this site down from the level it has operated on up until now.
This site is unique in my experience; I have gained tremendous knowledge on many many things beyond the subject of my truck. I can't help remembering the discussions on DUI and the confederate flag, they were both enlightening and stimulating, and no we didn't all agree, but just possibly we all won simply by listening to each other. I don't want to loose that, but I am feeling threatened.

Edit note: Sorry, I had to come back to fix a spelling mistake, I might have gotton jumped on for that;(

[This message has been edited by Dave Grubb (edited 03-30-2000).]

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Dave,

Some good points there. As I posted in the thread above (or is it now below on this list
) this site has many members (6000+) from pretty much all walks of life from many parts of the world. As it is free, I expect and wingnut or two to crawl up from under the bridge, throw a few jabs at us, and disappear. I guess it's the price we pay to surf on a free site.

What amazes me day in and day out is the knowledge people have here on this site. I have learned more about life outside my little world in the last 15 months on this site than I have in many years previous. I'm also amazed at the ability to talk to people from all parts of the world in close to real time, be it Ray in Austrailia, Bjornar in Norway, Doug and the gang in Alaska, the boyz out west, Kevin and Rich and the gang from back east, or the crew from down south. Sure, we seldom all agree on any one thing, but I'd be willing to bet if one kept an open mind they have learned a little somethin'
. I have my Atlas next to me all the time and I almost always take the time to look up and see exactly where people are from, kind of a geography lesson.

As this site continues to grow, we will keep experiencing more and more growing pains. I do enjoy a bit of humor from time to time (ok, quite often) as I find it really lightens my day up
. Where we sometimes cross the line is when that humor is not in good taste or gets personal. The use of the smiley faces are crucial to convey to someone when your are using humor, just as the other icons can be used to convey anger, sadness, confussion, etc.

I know once or twice I have crossed the line in the couple of posts I've made over the year+ I've been around. When I have I've tried to correct that mistake. If someone takes a shot at me, I find it best to sit back and not respond right away. That way if one keeps their emotions under control things usually wont escelate.

The Administrators/Moderators and Webmaster himself all do an great job of policing this site. It's a tough job they have, but they do it well. It will take them to continue to do it well as well as self-policing on our part to be sure this site stays the best one out in cyberspace.

------------------
Troutly

2000 F-350 PSD 4x4 XLT CC SRW SWB Toreador Red with all the goodies pulling 2000 Formula 353 FASTech with HP500EFI's..aka "Crime Wave"

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Dave,

You're right about the way some of us have been behaving lately. Several of us have taken note and posted regarding this issue. Hopefully, others will take note also and things will settle down before it gets out of hand.

I guess a family of 6100+ has as much problem getting along as some families of 4.

Added in edit:

Troutly got in just ahead of me, so I hadn't seen his post when I wrote this. Dittos on what he said.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mhardin (edited 03-30-2000).]

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Troutly, you are wise beyond your years sir.
You have no idea how you have influenced my regard for your profession.
You are a big reason for the high regard I have for this site.
Someday I would like to shake your hand and say thanks.
Shucks, maybe this summer on the way to Alaska

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Being the resident liberal, I take a fair number of shots. I used to give it back, but found that only made people mad, and the points I was trying to make got lost as everyone's blood pressure went up. So, I throttled back my tart tongue and generally, I indulge my sarcastic tendencies only on my dogs, who don't ever seem to be able to muster up a good come-back. I like debating my dogs!

People have responded. I now have very cordial, friendly discussions with everyone here on some pretty sensitive topics (even religion - GASP!) That showed me that politeness would be met with more of the same and along the way, I stopped trying to win arguments and started trying to figure out why people think the way the do. When it stopped being competitive, I started learning things. I don't always agree with the people I debate with, but I always learn something and gain a better understanding, not only of the opposing position, but my own.

Courtesy has dividends that are sometimes only discovered later. Like learning things from people you disagree with. Good stuff, civility. Mixed at the rate of 16 oz. per 60 gallons, it can be a pretty good societal top end lube!

------------------
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kreynol2 (edited 03-30-2000).]

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi all,

DITTOS also on Troutly and Kevins' posts.

Kevin you best be careful being so sarcastic to your wolfies or you might need the seat of your pants patched
. Now you know why I say "The more I am around people the better I like DOGS!

Best to all and
s

Ed

------------------
Early 99-F250SC-PSD-LAR-numerious other goodies.
NRA-LIFER-TX.ST. RIFLE ASSC.LIFER-NRA/ILA AND MEMBER-GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER-I DO VOTE!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Hey Ed:

Just like here, I email my dogs. They are so computer illiterate that they don't read their mail for weeks at a time, and by then, I can usually sneak into their accounts and delete anything really inflammatory. As for the rest, well, let's just say that I am always forgiven by dinnertime!

G

·
0 Posts
Kevin,
Where do you get that resident liberal stuff from.
Here am I carrying the banner while you are out there swinging the Mace.

I think an important factor in debate is trying to see the other guys point of view, and see how much you can modify your own without sacrificing your core principles. We all get irate from time to time, but as somebody else has said, you would have to be very obtuse to not gain more insight from the exchange. I know I'm not going to make an agnostic out of Kevin, but I can see what his belief does to him, and it seems to make him a better person than it would if he didn't have those beliefs. I hope that others will also recognise that agnostics aren't licentious heathens devoid of thought who are destined for hell.

I know I'm not going to convert gun lovers to make them give up their guns, so I look at how far I can go to change what I would prefer and still include their wishes. I'm still working on that one.

We all come from tremendously diverse backgrounds, but are not satisfied with the relative isolation that we had before the internet. This is probably the most important event that has happened in human history. Despots have always tried to control the minds of those they oppress by keeping them isolated. In Russia and Germany the radio was constantly a threat because it was a source of ideas that did not originate with the despots. Early on, the radios sold in those countries would only tune to approved stations. Even the venerable BBC jambed entertainment programs they didn't like on Sunday which came from Europe, as late as the mid thirties. Now we not only get new ideas presented, we can talk back. This is a thing of great value. We should handle it with discretion, or those who fear easy communication will use all kinds of obscure and plausible reasons to limit and control it, but they won't be the real reason.

Frederick

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I whole heartly agree exellent post Frederick.
I sure hope you have many years of work on the gun issue
About the only thing I can add to the internet portion is we all need to have more respect for it and each other. Yes self included
. We can not bite our toungs on it so we will have to bite our fingers!

KEVIN GET YOUR BU&& BACK IN HERE! I'll send you some bandaids for your fingers when you bite them

Got to get back to doin' infernal revenue taxes
That should make Frederick and Kevin happy

s Ed

------------------
Early 99-F250SC-PSD-LAR- other goodies.
NRA&TX.ST.RIFLE ASSC.-LIFER-NRA/ILA AND MEMBER-GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER-I DO VOTE!

[This message has been edited by H ED S (edited 04-03-2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts