The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Michigan's cold weather coming,I am thinking about installing a grill cover for faster warm-ups. Where can I buy one? Anyone have good/bad experiences with these?

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I used one from Lund and did not notice any difference in warm up. Basically, it will warm up at the same rate as long as the t-stat stays closed. Bob Riley's 203° t-stat will help. If you cannot keep it operating at the desired temp then consider the cold or winter front. The best cold fronts are made by Alaska Tent & Tarp. Look here. BTW, the coolant filter plumbed as Bob Riley depicts is the biggest impediment to warm up but he probably didn't notice any difference in Florida. I also have deleted my EBPV and at least so far have no issues warming up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have considered buying on as well. I don't know how much it would help though. It seems there must be an easy and inexpensive home remedy to this with a few items picked up at Home Depot. Obviously there is the cardboard solution, but I would prefer not to look quite that ghetto.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use the Lund winter front inserts, and I have the summer ones to keep rocks/bugs out of my rad/AC condenser.

It made a huge difference for me. There were times last year when I could drive across the city in stop and go traffic and not get heat in 45 minutes of driving. That's with me parking in a heated shop btw. I added the front and things got much more comfortable.

The Lund covers were around 70 dollars for each one from what I remember. Money well spent IMHO, and they don't have the ugly look of the tarp style ones above. You can barely tell there's anything there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Elliot2...
Have used both the Lund inserts for cold and the stainless steel cover for bugs, rocks etc. They worked well until I put on a tube grill cover and a bush guard. Now it is too much work to put either on, so PM me if you want both or either at a reasonable cost.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk88GT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Lund winter front inserts, and I have the summer ones to keep rocks/bugs out of my rad/AC condenser.

It made a huge difference for me. There were times last year when I could drive across the city in stop and go traffic and not get heat in 45 minutes of driving. That's with me parking in a heated shop btw. I added the front and things got much more comfortable.

The Lund covers were around 70 dollars for each one from what I remember. Money well spent IMHO, and they don't have the ugly look of the tarp style ones above. You can barely tell there's anything there. </div></div>There is a BIG difference in temperature between Winnipeg and SE Michigan. Our winters would feel like a warm spring day there. I agree if you cannot maintain normal operating temperature in winter a cold front will help but I just did not see any difference in the rate of warmup with a cold soaked engine with or without the cold front.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds Like minimal help for faster warm-ups.I have a 203* t-stat and a remote start.I guess I'm just being a baby! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haul_n_horses2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk88GT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Lund winter front inserts, and I have the summer ones to keep rocks/bugs out of my rad/AC condenser.

The Lund covers were around 70 dollars for each one from what I remember. Money well spent IMHO, and they don't have the ugly look of the tarp style ones above. You can barely tell there's anything there. </div></div>There is a BIG difference in temperature between Winnipeg and SE Michigan. Our winters would feel like a warm spring day there. I agree if you cannot maintain normal operating temperature in winter a cold front will help but I just did not see any difference in the rate of warmup with a cold soaked engine with or without the cold front. </div></div> Well I live in Winnipeg and have never had a heat issue. This truck is the best winter vehicle I've owned. Dmax requires a winter front but these Fords don't. I would only consider it for highway use when it's -30 or worse. Then being cheap, I just put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see alot of Dmaxes with black mesh covers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haul_n_horses2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a BIG difference in temperature between Winnipeg and SE Michigan. Our winters would feel like a warm spring day there. I agree if you cannot maintain normal operating temperature in winter a cold front will help but I just did not see any difference in the rate of warmup with a cold soaked engine with or without the cold front. </div></div>

We saw -55c for a week last winter. That's when I put the winter front on. I'm no meteorologist, but that aint no spring weather.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what Haulin' was saying when comparing our much warmer climate to yours.If Canucks can get by then so should I!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts