The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fricking STUMPED!

I replaced the ball joints on the Dually... (see sig below)

When I removed the hubs this big (much bigger than the small one on the auto-lock section) O-ring was sitting in the groove where the snap ring holds the locker in on both hubs. The picture of the o-ring at the bottom of the hub is where I think it may go but I can't find anything to back that up. I have looked at all the schematics, called ford, and no one can tell me where that thing goes. I am really stumped. I don't think it goes behind the snap-ring. There are now marks on it. Can someone help me? I need to get this truck back together but don't want to have to go back in and redo all this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,191 Posts
There shouldn't be an o-ring in the groove inside the hub. It may be a swollen o-ring that came off the outside of the locking hub itself.
Go ahead and toss it in the garbage.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't a swollen o-ring. There was one in each hub and they are both in perfect shape. The o-ring that is in the lockers groove is much, much thinner in diameter and fits the groove it is in. So where did these come from....

·
Super Moderator
25,191 Posts
Are you the original owner? If not, I'd say that some dufus put them in for who knows what reason. :shrug03:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am, bought it new.

·
Super Moderator
25,191 Posts
OK, I wasn't implying you were a dufus, but someone must have put them there. I have never seen fat o-rings there. Maybe someone snuck into your garage and put them there. :smile2:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol Oh, I didn't take it that way!

Mostly I am worried about NOT putting them back. I can't explain where they came from or go though.. Curiouser and curiouser!

·
Registered
500 Posts
lol Oh, I didn't take it that way!

Mostly I am worried about NOT putting them back. I can't explain where they came from or go though.. Curiouser and curiouser!

Every 7.3 I have worked on does not have the two big o rings you have pictures of on yours If they fit and don’t cause problems put them back in. But they don’t need to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is on the '04 F-350 Dually...

I never saw these on anything on the old truck either...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts