The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning an air horn install on my new truck (don't have it yet) I will need to tap into the stock horn wire to run a relay to fire the air horns. I was wondering where an easy place to get to it is?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
In 2022 even the horn involves TWO modules to operate. I strongly recommend using the actual horn output from the horn relay in the BJB as not to mess with the modules. The wire is solid BROWN and runs in the main power distribution harness that runs from the BJB around the front of the truck. Probably the easiest thing to do is access the circuit at the horn behind the grill directly below the hood latch. If your grill will allow you to put your hand past it can be reached with out removing the grill.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Much. I think I should be able to find it, especially now that I know where to look.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wired them to the horn button on my other truck. Unfortunaterly the horn was buried under the battery boxed in by the wheel well liner. Its actually easier to wire to the horn as I will not not need to run separate wires into the cab and mount the horn button inside. Either way I need a relay. Thanks for the thought though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Planning an air horn install on my new truck (don't have it yet) I will need to tap into the stock horn wire to run a relay to fire the air horns. I was wondering where an easy place to get to it is?

Thanks
I have done this a number of times, though on other vehicles. I agree with starting at the horn itself. You might can trace the wire back to an more convenient spot under the hood. My additional suggestion is to tee into that wire and keep your factory horns functional, and use the tapped-in wire as a signal wire to your new air horn relay. I've found that sometimes with the add-on air horn system you can blow a fuse, lose a relay, have an air leak, have a faulty air solenoid, compressor, pressure switch, etc., etc. It's best that you not find that out the hard way when you really need a horn and have absolutely none.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done this a number of times, though on other vehicles. I agree with starting at the horn itself. You might can trace the wire back to an more convenient spot under the hood. My additional suggestion is to tee into that wire and keep your factory horns functional, and use the tapped-in wire as a signal wire to your new air horn relay. I've found that sometimes with the add-on air horn system you can blow a fuse, lose a relay, have an air leak, have a faulty air solenoid, compressor, pressure switch, etc., etc. It's best that you not find that out the hard way when you really need a horn and have absolutely none.
I agree - that's the plan. On my last truck it was wired that way. I was able to tap the wire right at the horn and keep the horn working..
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts