The Diesel Stop banner

Where is my check engine light located?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chuckster57 
#1 ·
May sound kinda dumb but.... I'll be darned if I can't find the check engine light on my 92 f-250 7.3 idi. It does not light up at startup. I took the bezel off around the gauges and shined a light through all the holes in it and don't see it in the bezel. I then shined the flash light around the gauges themselves and can't see any evidence of where it wold be. Can someone post a pic of theirs and then I will look for it on mine. I am trying to get the blink code for the tranny but kinda hard when there is no light to blink.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Hey, I've got a 92 F350, next time I get around it, I'll check for you.

#5 ·
I'm not sure because I don't have an automatic, but there may be a harness plug easily accessed under the dash where you can plug in to get a trans trouble code. Bet Chuckster57 knows.

#8 · (Edited)
Reactions: LMJD
#6 ·
I also have a 92 7.3 IDI. I do not have a check engine light.

Mine is an automatic. I noticed that my O/D OFF light on the shifter was flashing and did a search. It meant I had an transmission code. After searching further I found out about not having a check engine light. I also found out that this truck is NOT OBDII it is OBDI (that is 1 and 2). The way to read the codes is with a Test Light, under the hood, right in front of the drivers seat on the firewall.

I saw an earlier post with a link. It is probably what I used.

#7 ·
This shows where it WOULD be:

This caption explains how to read EEC-IV codes (OBD-I is a GM system; Ford never used it):

#9 ·
Thanks everyone. I should have put it together that it wouldn't have one if there is no computer. I had the same blinking o/d light and the truck wouldn't shift automatically. I put a new tcu in it and the flashing went away and is shifting now. I just don't think it is shifting right. It will rev to about 2200 rmp before it shifts to 2nd without a load. If I punch it will rev into the 3500 range then almost immediately to third then over drive. Someone told me it sounds like it could be the shift solenoid. Any ides?

#10 ·
On the side of the IP there is the equivalent of a throttle position sensor, its called an FIPL. In simple terms, it is a potentiometer that measures voltage and helps determine shift points. There is a procedure to set the voltage at idle and WOT. A search for "FIPL adjustment" should give you positive results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.