The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
See this thread .

It's a 10 minute job if you use the test port.

O

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOO don't cut anything. There is a plug on the side of the trans you can use. Most gage kits include the fittings that will fit.I believe it is the test port.

Do a search here or the the aftermarket general section on this. Someone has pictures of it in their photos. Another search phrase would be gage install.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I looked high and low for that pick - geese

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my first reply but it is on a topic that I know. The "test port" is not the best place to mount your trans temp sensor for the fact that there is no oil flow over the sensor. That port is a dead end and there for the temp reading is very slow to react and dose not show or tell if your trans cooler might be having a problem until its too late. The best place to install the sensor is in the cooler return line out of the radiator. That is the line that goes to the rear of the trans case. With a compression tee fitting that fits the line cut out a section that will alow the tee to be installed in the line and screw the sending unit into the tee. Using this method will insure there will always be fluid pasing over the sending unit that will give you a much more accurate reading.
Yes I have done this to my torque shift and it works very good. My trans temp rarely gets ovre 125 on the freeway empty.

Scott Trans diagnostic tech.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Scott - do you happen to have a picture of this and how do you tell which line to use?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yoda- I do have a photo but the line that you want is the one that goes to the rear of the trans. I installed the fittings in a straight part of line along the side of the trans.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why would you want it on the return from the cooler? I think that welding a bung in the pan would be the most accurate way of measuring actual tarns fluid temp. The return line from the cooler is not showing the trans temp, but the cooled fluid before it removes any heat from the trans. Maybe a better choice to use the line from the trans to the cooler to get what the temp is as it comes out. Just my $.02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts