The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully someone can help with my problem.

I have a 2002 7.3L with approx. 211000 miles. Back in August I replaced the fuel filter, CPS, ICP/pigtail, IPR as well as an oil change. I recently replaced the intake filter in November. Everything has been good until now. Im just going to list the symptoms so this doesnt become a huge run on paragraph.

1) Sometimes while traveling at highway speeds (55/60) it will feel like there's a miss and the rpms will be erratic for a few seconds then return to normal.

2) Occasionally when first started the engine will chug like it has a big cam and low idle. Sometimes this will happen at stop lights/signs while idling.

3) Occasionally when stopped the truck will either just die or the rpms will become erratic and then die. When it dies I can put it back into park and it will start back up immediately.

I was thinking that the ICP had gone bad but there is no oil on the connector. I havent tried driving it with the ICP unplugged yet. Does anyone have an opinion on what could be causing this. This truck is my daily and I cant afford to have it go down for long periods of time. Also over the past year I have lost 2 mpg, Im down to an even 13. Any help is much appreciated. :bowdown:

Edit: I have also rebuilt the fuel bowl due to a leak

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
What CPS did you use? My first move would be to replace the CPS with a Ford/International dark blue version.

I just did a 350 mile round trip to pick up a car. Hand calculated 18.3 MPG on level ground pulling the car one way. What are you doing to get 13???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the CPS from Riff Raff Diesel. The Motorcraft F4TZ12K073C. It replaced the gray one that was previously installed. I have no idea why its so low. Most of my driving is highway and I dont really ever get on it.

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
Do you have any gauges? Low boost will kill your mileage. Are you running big tires? A lift kit? Check your fuel pressure- or better yet get a gauge for that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I running 285/75 tires. No lift. I have boost, Egt, and trans temp gauges. It doesnt seem to have or I just havent noticed low boost. My fuel pressure relief was a little gummed up when I rebuilt the fuel bowl but I cleaned it. I rebuilt it maybe back in December. It ran fine until now. I was thinking about getting the fuel pressure relief rebuild kit from riff raff.

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
Dieselorings.com has a good kit. Put a gauge on it first. Any programmer or tune?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No programmer or tune. The nut is on the IPR, ever since Ive had to replace it its the first thing I check. Ill have to check the wiring harness tomorrow when theres light and if the weather cooperates. I did take my 45 minute ride home from work tonight with the ICP unplugged. It seemed to run smoother and there were no stalls or misses and the mpg's shot up. The idle also stayed constant while sitting. Im going to leave it unplugged for a day or two to make sure its not a coincidence. Are the symptoms Im having common symptoms for a bad ICP?

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
If it runs better with the ICP unplugged, it's most likely bad. Get a genuine International replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plugged the ICP back in to see how it runs on the way home from work tonight. Ive been thinking about just going ahead and replacing the UVCH and gasket, glow plugs, gpr, injector orings, fpr rebuild, and IPR pigtail (didnt replace when I changed the IPR). Ive had the truck for a year and with little to no knowledge if the PO replaced anything I figure its better to replace some commonly worn parts especially with 211000 on the clock. And its about time for an oil and fuel filter change.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You didn't say how it ran plugged back in?? All that stuff sounds great. But I would solve this issue first. If you throw a bunch of new stuff on there it makes tracking your issue more difficult and could open a whole new can of worms. I personally never do add ons unless everything is good to go. Except maintenance of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I haven't ran it yet. I plugged it back in when I got to work today. So we'll see how it goes on my way home. When I get a day off on Tuesday I'm also going to check the ICP pigtail I installed to see if any wires came loose in the butt connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drove it home with the ICP plugged in. It didn't stall or miss but while stopped the idle surges up and down slightly. It also feels more bogged down with it plugged in. When it was unplugged it felt like it had more power at lower rpm and I didn't have to get into the pedal so much to get up to speed.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Check your fuel pressure and flow. Get it up to 3k in park. Hold dead steady and see if tack needle hunts around. Can you hold it dead steady without manipulating the pedal? Hunting will be aeration, fade out is fuel pressure / flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts