The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've moved to ND from IL and have found that while the summers are still warm, it's not sweltering so we are getting outdoors a lot more for adventure. One of these is trail biking (on a mild scale) and we are looking for an easy way to transport our bikes to and fro. I've been temped to build something, but with the time and materials involved it may be more simple to buy. That being said, the local shop recommended a platform style, which makes sense and seems to be the most flexible with differing types of bikes. But I am also looking at the hanging style as well and hoping I can make our daughters 16" bike work on it.

But I have no real world experience with this so I wanted to see what you have used and if anyone has used on with our massive 3" receivers??

Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with bike carriers, but the size of the receiver should not really matter. There are adapters to go from 3" to 2.5" (my truck came with one), as well as a 2.5" to 2" adapter. The adapters will let you use any size you want.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many options out there. Just hard to know which are good If I want them on the front, Arvika makes one that looks nice and this system can also be pulled off and put in a hitch. Or put them on the back and there are some I like on etrailer.com

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I'd use Thule, Yakima, or Kuat.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kuat is awesome! Saw that one a while back, but that's over $1000 for what I need. I will look at Thule and Yakima, but I suspect they are in that neighborhood as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts