The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight on the way home the truck cut-out a couple of times and the check engine light came one. When I got home I read the codes and it said something about a faulty CPS. I have a spare gray one...is this a good or bad one?

Griz

·
Super Moderator
25,019 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The original black one, is better than the grey one, but was the one that tended to die and was recalled. I stilll have one installed in the truck and a spare (no it's not for sale
). I had a grey one in the replacement engine, and when I changed back to the original, I gained about 2 MPG.

Here's a thread that should tell you what you need to know.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/black-grey-dark-blue-cam-position-sensor-perdels-test-257398/
Thanks klhansen...I spent about a hour reading through the thread...very interesting. I'll check to see which one is installed now and go from there. It sounds like a crap shot since the Black ones are no longer available though. :sick: Do you recommend I not install the Gray one and go with the newer Blue one?

Griz

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
The older blue one (its for the 94-97 trucks, but works better than the grey one...)

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The older blue one (its for the 94-97 trucks, but works better than the grey one...)
I decided not to install my spare gray one. I have a gray one installed now. I ordered a couple of the blue ones from Riffraff. Hopefully they'll be fine.

Griz

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
When I put a blue one in place of the grey one the dealer forced on me, it felt like I had chipped the truck. I finally rounded up enough black ones that I am running those now. I couldn't feel a difference between the black and the blue, but going to the grey makes it feel like you're running on 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I put a blue one in place of the grey one the dealer forced on me, it felt like I had chipped the truck. I finally rounded up enough black ones that I am running those now. I couldn't feel a difference between the black and the blue, but going to the grey makes it feel like you're running on 6 cylinders.
Thanks RT...interesting there is so much difference between the different CPS's. :icon_rolleyes:

Griz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts