The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm relatively new to diesels. I bought a 99 F-350 crew cab, 7.3, manual trans. 4x4 a few years ago and I love it so much I decided to build a replacement truck for when mine finally gives up the ghost.
So, I purchased a 2001 F-350 dually crew cab, 7.3, manual trans. crew cab 4x4 with 400K+ miles for my replacement truck. The engine starts & runs but it blows a lot of white smoke until it warms up, then the smoke clears up unless you really get into the pedal while going down the road. The glow plugs do NOT work and it needs either to start at any temp under 70 degrees.
I've also purchased a 99 F-350 7.3 with 370K miles as a donor truck. The engine on this truck also starts and runs but it blows blue smoke all of the time even after it warms up. I cannot drive it down the road because of other issues.
I'm not sure what is wrong with either engine and not sure which engine would be cheaper to rebuild. So, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions.
I know that I'm going to have $10-15K in this truck when I'm done but the way I figure it, with new trucks costing $70K+ and not near as reliable as the 7.3, I'm going to be money ahead by doing it this way.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I would rebuilt the 99, it's got the forged rod in it and the 01 may or may not have Forged rod.

And i would fix the 01 so the gp works and you may have a injector problem but someone whit more knowledge will probably pitch in

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
527 Posts
Def injector issue. Either is really bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts