The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its time to start thinking about ordering a new truck. Im going to order a regular cab 4x4 dually this time. Im having a hard time trying to decide on gas or diesel. I tow a 16k camper about 5 or 6 times a year. I read that some people are having issues with the diesel which worries me alot. I tend to keep my truck for a while and I would like to make the right choice. I understand that the diesel has a higher cost of maintenance, but gets better fuel mileage. I towed the camper to Missouri over thanksgiving and got around 5mpg.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The 6.7 is pretty reliable engine. The early 2011 6.7 did have a valve issue. The later 6.7's do not. Some of the 2011-2014 did have EGT4 problem but Ford reprogrammed the PCM to solve this. The 2015 and later did not have EGT4 problem. Some have had problems with water in the fuel and causing expensive fuel system repairs. The problem most times was a result of a station having water in the fuel tanks but the most common problem caused by the owner. They either dumped DEF or gasoline into the fuel tank. Generally your comprehensive insurance will cover these damages when you carry full coverage. I have a locking fuel cap and make sure I only remover one cap at a time. I remove the fuel cap to fuel and then replace it before I consider adding any DEF. It may be cheaper to get bulk DEF at the trucks stops but I do not want the risk of using the nozzle and put it in the fuel tank.

But....

You have to remember that forums magnify a problem at times. A few people on a forum that have problems is not representative of the number of trucks on the road with no problems. I have 31k on my 2015 with no engine/drivetrain problems. I did have some problems with the DRW external fenders rubbing the paint on the bed. The local dealer resolved this problem for me.

My 2015 CCLB DRW with 3.73 gears gets about 19 on the highway with no load and pulling the 35' 5'r, i get about 10.5-11. Both are achieved driving around 65-67 mph.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is it as reliable as my 7.3? This new truck is going to have to last 10 years

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The engine is in its 7th model year now. I see no reason it will not last 10 plus years.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But will it be as reliable as my 7.3?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
But will it be as reliable as my 7.3?
Now, honestly, how do you think anyone can answer this? This is not a realistic question. The 7.3 has been around in one form or another for over 30 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would get the diesel without much thought. I would think real hard about the short wheel base dually though. The crew cab rides a lot better and is more stable when towing. I have had both regular cab and crew cab Ford and others. I would much rather deal with the long wheel base in tight parking areas to get the better ride and stability.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My 72 year old mom has a 6.7 with over 100,000 miles on it with no issues. Almost all the miles come from pulling a 35' triple slide fifth wheel all over the country to see her 8 kids. I love my 7.3 but would not hesitate to get a 6.7 if the cost was a little more reasonable. I was not smart enough to been a doctor like her lol.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of MPG's can I expect towing 16K?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The 7.3 has been around in one form or another for over 30 years.
Yes/no.
The 7.3 powerstroke has been out since 1994.5
The earlier 7.3 (1988-1994) was the IDI.
HEUI came out in 1993 by caterpillar.
So in short, kinda apples to oranges.

I would jump into a 6.7 psd any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
We have had every year model power stroke from 1997 to 2007 and have had a 2012 and now have a 97' 7.3 and a 2016 6.7. I love both trucks but as others have said there really is no comparison. I would not hesitate to get another 6.7. The vast majority of 2011 6.7s are still strong and on the roads 7 years later. The 2016s are that many years improved. 10 year truck? . . . more like 20 year truck, but given there cost they should be. I would be far more concerned with the reliability of a gas burner being used regularly in a diesel application.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
With the cost of the new trucks and all and I mean all the electronics that are in the vehicle along with the engine I would look strongly at leasing a new one instead of buying it outright. This way you would be in a perpetual monthly payment for the rest of your life but look at it this way, one small problem with just about any of the electronics and you are going to be out a couple thousand dollars if you are out of warranty. Now if you have a 2 year lease odds are that you will still be under the basic warranty and it will be fixed for you.

After I bought my new Explorer I thought of this and crossed my fingers that nothing happens in the next 5 years since I will never hit the mileage limit in that time.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im starting to think that Id have to keep the 6.7 10 years just to break even, not counting the maintenance. With the past problems of the 6.0 and 6.4 I'm little worried about the 6.7. Ive been reading that there are problems that can and do come up after 125K miles

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Yes/no.
The 7.3 powerstroke has been out since 1994.5
The earlier 7.3 (1988-1994) was the IDI.
HEUI came out in 1993 by caterpillar.
So in short, kinda apples to oranges.

I would jump into a 6.7 psd any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yes millions 1.2 miles before scheduled overhaul, had injection pump ripped out, a hydraulic pump put in that drives Caterpillar injectors.
Best set up to date
Be careful with replies because lot of us here make more power and and do it in silky engines not just loud and course. I consistently deliver silky queens within 3 decibels of a 6.7

You can get your acccountant to depreciating on new 6.7
He won't be able to on a worked over 7.3
He won't be able to get you conventional financing on a high end worked over 7.3
He won't get you a truck that will go 25 yrs. Let alone one that set the bar.

Refi and Restore....House is not going away but boy try to get a sweet 7.3. Then get the magic done.

Ask anyone with realtime decades of day in day out Diesel repair experience under the belt.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's been a long time since I have towed with a gas engine (2002), but I still remember stressing out about it. Will I be able to pull the passes in CO? Will it make it ok? Am I stressing the engine too much? Then I bought my first diesel 7.3L and from then on, knew it was designed to haul the loads, tow the hills, etc and did so without stressing much. Which put my mind at ease. I owned that truck for 9 years and it was a great truck. Not trouble free, but still great! However, it cost me less than half of the 2017 I just got. But I too plan to keep this truck for a long time and if you want a Ford, be able to pull well, yielding decent fuel mileage, your only answer is the 6.7L. Perhaps it will be hard to pony up the extra $10k for the diesel, but with the gas motor you are getting dismal mileage and perhaps not doing it any favors pulling 16k. However, as you mention, that is only a few times a year so maybe it makes sense. The other benefit to a diesel is they hold their value much better than a gasser, so while you pay thru the nose up front, you get a much greater % of that back when it comes time to sell. I don't tow much either currently, but when I do, I don't want to be stressing about the truck.

In my situation, I was a bit forced to sell my 7.3L. We were moving to Germany (Uncle Sams orders) and I knew it wouldn't be cost effective to store it that long, plus it was a supercab and that gets tight for a family. 3 Years in Germany turned into 4 and I can't imagine how much in storage fees that could have been. Plus its not good on the drivetrain sitting for that long is. What I am trying to say is that the only reason I justified selling the ole girl is that the 6.7's were showing lots of promise and were also designed in house by Ford, unlike the 6.0 and 6.4. Had Ford stayed on the sinking ship that were these two motors, I would not have sold my 7.3l.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I cannot agree with you more, you said it all perfectly. I too decided it was time, sold my old girl (in sig) after owning it for 17 years with 328k and the new owner loves it, and my new 2017 is making me smile too. My 2 cents, if you plan on towing this new 6.7 is hands down strong, and very silent too.

It's been a long time since I have towed with a gas engine (2002), but I still remember stressing out about it. Will I be able to pull the passes in CO? Will it make it ok? Am I stressing the engine too much? Then I bought my first diesel 7.3L and from then on, knew it was designed to haul the loads, tow the hills, etc and did so without stressing much. Which put my mind at ease. I owned that truck for 9 years and it was a great truck. Not trouble free, but still great! However, it cost me less than half of the 2017 I just got. But I too plan to keep this truck for a long time and if you want a Ford, be able to pull well, yielding decent fuel mileage, your only answer is the 6.7L. Perhaps it will be hard to pony up the extra $10k for the diesel, but with the gas motor you are getting dismal mileage and perhaps not doing it any favors pulling 16k. However, as you mention, that is only a few times a year so maybe it makes sense. The other benefit to a diesel is they hold their value much better than a gasser, so while you pay thru the nose up front, you get a much greater % of that back when it comes time to sell. I don't tow much either currently, but when I do, I don't want to be stressing about the truck.

In my situation, I was a bit forced to sell my 7.3L. We were moving to Germany (Uncle Sams orders) and I knew it wouldn't be cost effective to store it that long, plus it was a supercab and that gets tight for a family. 3 Years in Germany turned into 4 and I can't imagine how much in storage fees that could have been. Plus its not good on the drivetrain sitting for that long is. What I am trying to say is that the only reason I justified selling the ole girl is that the 6.7's were showing lots of promise and were also designed in house by Ford, unlike the 6.0 and 6.4. Had Ford stayed on the sinking ship that were these two motors, I would not have sold my 7.3l.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I too am looking forward to seeing threads in the future full of owners with 6.7's saying "I got 350K, (or 400, even 500K) on it and no significant issues, just normal wear items. valve covers have never been off" Then we know we will have another 7.3 on our hands!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah Phil, not going to happen buddy
What do you know that we don't Nick? from what I have seen on here, you seem to have firsthand knowledge that the 6.7 isn't all its cracked up to be. Are we talking Emissions issues?
What is your pick for longevity, reliability and durability? Not trying to say you don't know, just asking. I am partial to 6.4Ls.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts