The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at adding gauges to my truck. Which one is better, the ScanGauge II or the Edge CTS Monitor? What I am looking for is ease of install,, plug and play. By looking at the pictures of each product it looks like the Edge has a bigger screen to read. Is it hard to see the read out on the ScanGauge?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You can get 2 ScanGauges for less than the price of a CTS. CTS allows you to hook up a pyro (for another $100) which is something you cant do with a SG2.

I don't pull anything or have a programmer so I don't really need a pyro but if I were to install one, which I may if I ever have some extra coin to drop, I'll install a analog gauge pyro.

I'm not that familiar with the CTS so I don't know if you can monitor 8 PID's at once such as you can with 2 SG2's daisy chained. I have not had any difficulty visually reading the values on the SG2.

I am however currently trying to resolve daisy chain issues I am experiencing with the 2 SG2 units with Linear Logic.

Hopefully will have it resolved this week.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Which is best...hard to say and I can't answer that because I have never tried the CTS. But, I am a huge fan of the scangauge II. It can monitor a very large number of PIDs and they are always adding more. I really like the size of it. I made a "homemade" mount and mounted it under my rearview mirror. Ran a separate cat 5 cable up the pillar and behind the headliner. I got a female to female adapter and put that under the dash, leaving the scangauge cable balled up under the dash also. This allows me to remove it to put in another vehicle very easily.

As far as your concerns for readability, don't worry. It is very easy to read. Now it doesn't have the fancy graphics that the CTS has, but it is very readable. The only draw back is that there is no way to add a fuel pressure gauge or a pyrometer. But the price that Edge wants for the probes is comparable to what you can buy some stand alone gauges for.

My vote is Scangauge II, but I've never tried the other and price point will probably keep me from trying it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have also checked into these some. Is the Edge more user friendly to read and understand? I watched a video that was posted on another site of a guy going thru his scan gauge while the display rolled readings out and it seemed a lot smaller to read. JMO I could be wrong too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im running the CTS insight and have been very happy with it. I have also added the fuel pressure, pyro and turbo timer and yes you can set it up to monitor 8 PIDs on the same screen.

Insight CTS Monitor by Edge Products | Toy Hauler Adventures

Edge Products – CTS UPDATE: Turbo Timer Install | Toy Hauler Adventures

Ford Powerstroke 6.0L fuel pressure monitor and low pressure fix. | Toy Hauler Adventures
Hey Jeff:

Long time no yack! Great writeups....after just throwing $3500 at the local Ford dealer for a few issues including the "warm...no start" problem at 77k and going through the blown head gaskets at 58k (thank gawd under warranty!), I'm eyeing this product intensively. I left a message on FB for you- would love to talk more about what you've done. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I like the older Edge so well i will be getting a splitter and getting the new edge CTS run both at one time you just can't have to many gauges.
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Jeff:

Long time no yack! Great writeups....after just throwing $3500 at the local Ford dealer for a few issues including the "warm...no start" problem at 77k and going through the blown head gaskets at 58k (thank gawd under warranty!), I'm eyeing this product intensively. I left a message on FB for you- would love to talk more about what you've done. Thanks!
Thanks Sean - Ill get a hold of you next week:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went with the scangauge ii. works well and is easy to setup. got the blend mount system and it look like it is a factory install.

·
Registered
692 Posts
got the blend mount system and it look like it is a factory install.
I've got a SGII and really like the looks of the "blend". Too bad it's so spendy. If anyone ever wants to sell one cheap, I might be in the market. In the meantime, my SGII sits atop my steering column, directly and easily visable in my line-of-sight for instrument panel. Unfortunately it does NOT look like a factory install - sigh.

I think one reason some folks have problems with the SGII is in the figuring out of the XGAUGE setups and undersanding that each different engine has a different set of PIDs to monitor.

- Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts