The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at changing out my turbo wheel. I'll be replacing my leaky up pipes with the IH bellowed ones (considering the ceramic coated), and while I'm in there I'll do the EBPV delete (not leaking now but to avoid future problems and it's maybe only a few times a year do I actually ever let it warm up for more than 30 seconds before taking off).

My truck is pretty much stock with 207k on the odometer. Put a Ford AIS air filter setup in it a few days ago and aside from the 200 amp alternator (support ham radio stuff, spotlights) I've been running, it's stock under the hood. No injectors, no fuel tweaks, no exhaust, no tunes, no nada. No plans for doing those items either.

Heck, I've still got the original trans (although I figure I'll be redoing that within a year).

My plan is to get a toy hauler 5th wheel, gross of 12.5k. Currently I pull my buggy on a single axle trailer, so only about 2k total there plus all the camping gear. Occasionally borrow a travel trailer. Would likely upgrade to a tow service HD type trans when it comes time for that.

So given all that I'm looking at, which wheel to get? I see that there are a number of options, and from what I can tell the Wicked Wheel 2 and RiffRaff billet seem most popular? Is either one (or another) better for my application? Also, is the RR wheel the same as the RiffRaff wheel?

As for the ceramic coated pipes, I understand the idea behind them. While they are a bit more than wrapping the up pipes the appeal is that I don't have to do anything with them. Or are they more gimicky and not worth the extra cost?

I'll be adding an EGT gauge. For now I'll have the hole drilled and plug it with a bolt until I get the gauge mounting/wiring sorted out.

I'm not looking to show up my buddy in his 6.7, just want to keep the truck going for another 200k since I don't want 6.7 payments.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
My buddy Glenn, Like your longevity thinking.

Ok, get off IH bellowed. Let alone a "ceramic coating offered by some vendors.

BD Bellowed Up Pipes Stainless, Made in Canada. Find best price from multiple vendors.

ThermoTech Cool It large turbo insulate wrap kit. Multiple vendors including Amazon.... Serious underhood heat reduction, helping plastic components live longer.
Triple wrapping this up pipes and doing the aluminized overlay will hold that heat boy and when it hits...ssszzzz.

Compressor side.. I like the BD Billet or the $10 less identical, made by BD for XDP( site sponsor ), it's a quiet 25-30 lb range wheel. This is where you want to be for longevity.. Others are obnoxious and with the right actuator push it higher than you want to be for longevity and cab noise if over 20 something.

Glenn buddy, don't know how to do links but suggest doing site or Google search for 2 threads authored by me.

Barder's 360, XDP billet, Applied Performance actuator ( Maryland dieselnick )

BD Stainless Up Pipes All Wrapped Up ( Maryland dieselnick )

Follow as directed and:smile2:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BD bellowed pipes that I was looking at are showing at about the same price as the IH bellowed up pipes.

I saw this ThermoTec kit here: Thermo Tec Turbo Insulating Kit #15002 which I don't know if this is the kit you are referring to. It's basically $40 less than the ceramic coating. Appeal of the ceramic is that there is no fuss. I had seen your links, by the time I add in the cost for the bands and banding tool it's right near the price of the ceramic coating. The ceramic claims a reduction of about 60% heat. Don't know how that compares to the wrapping.

The RiffRaff wheel (5-7psi gain) is at $179, the BD billet is $211. WW2 is about $229.

Will I need to look into a mechanical waste gate actuator with this setup?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I agree with Nick on the BD billet wheel.
It is quiet and elininates surge. plus a little power bump.

Dieselsite lists a max boost of 32 psi. At that boost level your at 39 psi of back pressure So nothing to worry about.

I really like how Nick wrapped everything. Way less heat under the hood and noise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who sells ceramic coated up pipes? Never seen that offered. Will search on thermo wrap

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Riffraff does. But it's not cheap

My dad truck tows a 10k 5'er every summer and does fabulous with just a few simple mods. Even with generic superchip tunes he has no issues with egts on big hills.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There's a vendor on amazon that has a nice set of bellowed up pipes for $109 with great reviews! I just got a set but haven't installed them yet. Now y'all have me thinking about wrapping them before I install them! Thanks.... lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Installed new up pipes (ceramic coated International bellowed from RiffRaff), a RiffRaff billet wheel and Garrett turbo rebuild kit, EBP delete (RiffRaff pedestal Garrett output port), new CAC boots (RiffRaff) and a DieselSite Turbo Master waste gate actuator. I also got all the various reinstall bolt kits and whatnot that my mechanic truly appreciated making his job that much easier. He liked the new CAC boots as well. They fit nice and tight and are much thicker than the stock boots. The International up pipes went on very easy and fit right up without any issues.

End result is that the boost comes on quite a bit quicker now and I'm peaking at 20-21 lbs of boost when before I was seeing 15-16 lbs. Additionally I no longer have the pat-pat-pat exhaust noise from the leaking up pipes.

Makes me start wondering about some DP tunes now...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Time for a hydra. 375 bucks and comes with a whole library of tunes for free.

You will really like that setup with tunes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glenn, just curious, what did the hired wrench cost you? Looking at the overall cost savings of doing it myself.

I'm also wrapping my pipes like Nick has shown.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I'd figure a shop charges 7-10 hours labor at 60-120 dollars and hour for labor.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was about $400. I decided against wrapped pipes as I didn't want to worry about the longevity of the wrap, and the ceramic coating was in line with the cost of wrapping or less depending on how much wrap you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Like Blue said, time for the Hydra. I have almost the same setup and push 35psi :p

Reactions: BroncoGlenn
1 - 14 of 14 Posts