The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i was down there...... under the truck that is, I changed my fuel filters last month (the 2nd time since I owned the truck). For whatever reason I didn't use the drain plug the first time. the second time I got my Hex key's out and got one that fit and Low and behold... the drain plug just sat there and spun and never loosened or tightened. I could wiggle it and see a little diesel seep... but when i didn't touch it, it didn't leak a drop. I'm gonna have a few days of here next week. My thought's are this...

1. Should I just replace the cover and clean out the HFCM and probably do the filters even though they only have 500 miles on them... (around $150)
2. Replace the Cover and the Pump it'self since im gonna have the HFCM taken out and i'll be cleaning it. (around $250-270)
3. Just replace the whole HFCM with a motorcraft and and toss the updated drain plug on there. (Around $300)

The truck has nearly 155k on it. I can only assume its the factory pump and I don't know the life Cycle of these things, I also don't know what it's putting out since i don't have a Fuel pressure gauge. I would rather replace it than be stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow. I also found out the WIF light was disconnected.. probably from the P.O so he could sell it to the dealership... I plugged it back in and it kept coming on.. So there is something on the sensor that needs to be cleaned out.

Thanks in advance for everyone's Input! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would replace the whole thing. I go overkill on everything. I'd rather spend a little more money than have to be towed. I've replaced pumps at 80k miles and at 250k miles. When it goes it just goes. There's no warnings

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Plus a brand new motorcraft for around $280 on ebay isn't a bad deal plus i gotta buy the plug. I buy filters in bulk so i have a few sitting the the shed i can use... i'll probably wait till around next oil change and do everything again. that's in around 4k miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts