The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2009 6.4 and I just had the head gaskets and turbos replaced. My question is how long will it take to burn out all the junk sitting in my exhaust. It was at the shop sitting for a few weeks waiting to be operated on. I'm assuming oil had leaked into my exhaust system at some point during the failure. The truck smokes at long idles and occasionally when I accelerate. Anyone know if this is normal after the head gasket, head studs, and turbos replacement?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Anytime I get into the motor I give it about 100 miles to sort things out.
DENNY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anytime I get into the motor I give it about 100 miles to sort things out.
DENNY
I've definitely put at least 100 or more miles on it since all the work was done and I've still got white smoke and in my opinion excessive blow by even for a 6.4..... I don't know what to do. I spent almost 5 grand on the head gaskets, studs, and turbos.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Take it back to where the work was performed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it back to where the work was performed.
I've also got to have the rear main seal replaced, could that attribute to the white smoke ya think ?? Could that oil be dripping into the exhaust somewhere and causing the smoke to continue???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my biggest concern is the excessive blow by even after the head gaskets and turbos being replaced. He said he went over the motor before putting it all back together and it all looked healthy yet I'm still having these issues. I had the exact same issues when I took it to the shop originally. I had oil literally pouring out due to some hose being spilt in half, I had billowing white smoke and oil spewing out the exhaust, and excessive blow by. Now the blow by isn't as bad but it's still too much even for a 6.4, I've still got the white smoke issue, and apparently now he's saying my rear main seal is shot.... so I'm losing a lot of oil. I really don't know what to do..... HELP

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Now that I think about this, maybe taking the truck back to where you had the work done at this point may not be such a good idea. Your mechanic said he "went over the motor" which means absolutely nothing other than perhaps he was standing over the motor while he was working on it. Anytime a repair facility gives you a general statement like that you should be asking questions. For example, what diagnostics were performed and what led you to your diagnosis? What caused that? If you don't know what to ask, hold off on approving work and ask someone or get a second diagnosis.

There are several tests that be performed to help identify base engine concerns:
  1. Crankcase Pressure Test
  2. IDS Relative Compression Test
  3. A manual Compression Test
  4. Monitoring Short Term Fuel Trims.
Your truck was more than likely misdiagnosed and improperly repaired. I say this because of the excessive blow by which can only be caused by cylinder and piston wear or damage which is common for a 6.4L I recommend taking it to someone competent who knows how to properly diagnose it. Get that diagnosis in writing with an estimate. Then maybe go back to where you had it and see what they will do. Excessive crankcase pressure will also cause oil seals to leak and is known to cause to turbocharger failures. One of the many reasons I hate the 6.4L is the fuel control is capable of compensating for cylinder problems so well it will actually mask a failing cylinder. By the time you have a check engine light due to cylinder contribution, a misfire or smoke it's already too late. This is where fuel trims can indicate a problem... for anyone with a clue reading this, exceeding +9 or -9 on any cylinder is cause for concern.

And by the way, what was the original concern with the engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that I think about this, maybe taking the truck back to where you had the work done at this point may not be such a good idea. Your mechanic said he "went over the motor" which means absolutely nothing other than perhaps he was standing over the motor while he was working on it. Anytime a repair facility gives you a general statement like that you should be asking questions. For example, what diagnostics were performed and what led you to your diagnosis? What caused that? If you don't know what to ask, hold off on approving work and ask someone or get a second diagnosis.

There are several tests that be performed to help identify base engine concerns:
  1. Crankcase Pressure Test
  2. IDS Relative Compression Test
  3. A manual Compression Test
  4. Monitoring Short Term Fuel Trims.
Your truck was more than likely misdiagnosed and improperly repaired. I say this because of the excessive blow by which can only be caused by cylinder and piston wear or damage which is common for a 6.4L I recommend taking it to someone competent who knows how to properly diagnose it. Get that diagnosis in writing with an estimate. Then maybe go back to where you had it and see what they will do. Excessive crankcase pressure will also cause oil seals to leak and is known to cause to turbocharger failures. One of the many reasons I hate the 6.4L is the fuel control is capable of compensating for cylinder problems so well it will actually mask a failing cylinder. By the time you have a check engine light due to cylinder contribution, a misfire or smoke it's already too late. This is where fuel trims can indicate a problem... for anyone with a clue reading this, exceeding +9 or -9 on any cylinder is cause for concern.

And by the way, what was the original concern with the engine?
The problem originated with it pouring oil and white smoking like crazy not to mention the excessive blow by. So the first shop said possibly blown head gaskets or turbos. So I took it the shop that actually ended up doing the work. He said the same thing, I'm not a mechanic/tech so I asked a buddy of mine that's a ford diesel tech and he told me the exact same thing the shop said so I was under the impression that was the issue. The owner told me there was a hose split in half causing the oil to pour down the backside of the block, he said the blow by is most likely being caused by blown head gaskets or maybe even turbos. So I left the truck with him for him to run some diagnostics, but since I wasn't able to work I told him there was no rush. He had the truck for a week or more before telling me what he thought the issue was. So he replaced the head gaskets and did the head studs while he was in there. That ran me $3800, then he calls me and tells me that my turbos are also having issues and that he felt they would fail soon so we did the turbos. Ok so get it all back together and I drive it a few days with it white smoking at idle.... take it back to him and it is pouring oil all over the ground outside the shop again and smoking like crazy. The truck ran like a scalded ape after getting back from him but still having the sane issues. So now he's saying my rear main is **** and needs to be replaced. I've still got pretty bad blow by and it's still smoking at this point I'm broke and I'm about to do something irrational if my truck doesn't get fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem originated with it pouring oil and white smoking like crazy not to mention the excessive blow by. So the first shop said possibly blown head gaskets or turbos. So I took it the shop that actually ended up doing the work. He said the same thing, I'm not a mechanic/tech so I asked a buddy of mine that's a ford diesel tech and he told me the exact same thing the shop said so I was under the impression that was the issue. The owner told me there was a hose split in half causing the oil to pour down the backside of the block, he said the blow by is most likely being caused by blown head gaskets or maybe even turbos. So I left the truck with him for him to run some diagnostics, but since I wasn't able to work I told him there was no rush. He had the truck for a week or more before telling me what he thought the issue was. So he replaced the head gaskets and did the head studs while he was in there. That ran me $3800, then he calls me and tells me that my turbos are also having issues and that he felt they would fail soon so we did the turbos. Ok so get it all back together and I drive it a few days with it white smoking at idle.... take it back to him and it is pouring oil all over the ground outside the shop again and smoking like crazy. The truck ran like a scalded ape after getting back from him but still having the sane issues. So now he's saying my rear main is **** and needs to be replaced. I've still got pretty bad blow by and it's still smoking at this point I'm broke and I'm about to do something irrational if my truck doesn't get fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here's how much oil I lost after driving it about 75 miles trying to burn off the **** in my exhaust after the repair. Needless to say it's been parked ever since. He did tell me the head gaskets were shot once he got into the motor. But I'm still waiting to hear back on when to bring it back for the rear main seal. I'm considering other options at this point though. I'm starting to feel like he repaired a bunch of stuff that was unnecessary..... took me for $3800

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts