The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
273,242 so far. Bought it new. Original 4R100 lasted until 203,000, put in a 4R100HD, will see how long it lasts. Normal replacements of water pumps every 100k or so, alternators, (put in a Leece-Neville this time, will see if it does better than the auto parts stores rebuilt), DENSO starter (same deal, auto parts stores starters last 6 months). Change the Delvac 1300 every 5k.
Biggest fear is when the injectors or glow plugs need work, impossible to do in a van w/o motor removal or body removal so as to get to the motor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
273,242 so far. Bought it new. Original 4R100 lasted until 203,000, put in a 4R100HD, will see how long it lasts. Normal replacements of water pumps every 100k or so, alternators, (put in a Leece-Neville this time, will see if it does better than the auto parts stores rebuilt), DENSO starter (same deal, auto parts stores starters last 6 months). Change the Delvac 1300 every 5k.
Biggest fear is when the injectors or glow plugs need work, impossible to do in a van w/o motor removal or body removal so as to get to the motor.
Yourctruvk has a out 2x the miles on the 4R100HD than my truck does. Any issues

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nope, the HD shifts perfect, I change the oil in it every 25k miles. (Mobil1 synthetic ATF) Installed a spin-on filter between the cooler out and transmission input.

4R100inputfilter

also put the biggest oil cooler I could find on the HD (it's really hot here 10 months of the year)

ford_4r100HD_oil_cooler

·
Registered
82 Posts
How Many miles?

I sold the truck in my signature a couple of months ago with 430K. I bought the truck with 25K in 2001 to haul our 15k 5th wheel and performed the modifications listed. I had the modifications and maintenance performed by "qualified" diesel techs, the truck was running as good as ever when I sold it to a contractor to haul equipment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just about to roll 374K. Original engine with common repairs (water pump, radiator, HPOP, boots) and original tranny. It's my daily drive as well as pulling horse trailers and RV.
Love my truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
240,000 miles. Still runs great. DRW.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Original tranny? Wow! That's amazing with that many miles. Way to go. I'm on 3rd tranny with 352,000 (OEM, BTS #1 and BTS#2)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just about to roll 374K. Original engine with common repairs (water pump, radiator, HPOP, boots) and original tranny. It's my daily drive as well as pulling horse trailers and RV.
Love my truck!
Original tranny with that many miles is great. Wow! I'm on tranny number 3 with 352,000 miles (OEM, BTS#1 and BTS #2)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Original tranny with that many miles is great. Wow! I'm on tranny number 3 with 352,000 miles (OEM, BTS#1 and BTS #2)
So, what was the problem with BTS#1?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, BTS did my tranny back in 2003 with 78K on the clock..
It lasted 9 years and 140K...Doing a lot of towing of my 10K# camper...
The thrust washers finally wore out and the tranny crapped out...
I went with a Ford Reman. tranny with a 3yr, 100K mi warranty...
The Reman. worked well until I sold the truck this last fall
Put 60K on the Reman.
Brian said he stand behind his tranny work BUT, I had to wait 3 months for him to get to it,
and I had to pay shipping both ways [$750/total] plus R & R costs...
Estimated total $12-$1500..
Bottom line I went with the Reman. for out the door price of $3000

·
Registered
936 Posts
So, what was the problem with BTS#1?
I'm not sure what took it out. It just starting slipping one day under normal driving. Lasted 86,000 miles. I sent it back to Brian and had to pay for a new convertor and a new solenoid...with shipping probably about $1250 altogether, if I remember correctly. I got it back relatively fast which I was grateful for but rather surprise that I had to pay for parts on what I thought was a lifetime warranty. Never towed with it and never with real heavy loads. Also had the large Ford 6.0 cooler on it when I first put it in. Kind of disappointing. He said that it looked like I had run some sort of additive in it and that had damaged it. I never did though and only used Schaeffers All-Trans according to his recommendations and changed it out every 30,000 miles. I've got 67,000 on the 2nd one so far without any problems.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts