The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
Personally, I recommend getting a DP tuner. Jody’s tunes are great. I had to use a Hydra on mine as part of a long diagnostic on a bad set of injectors. (Long story). Suffice it to say, I was stuck with the Hydra for 9 months. Absolutely hated it. The shift strategy was so bad I almost sold my truck. Back to the DP tuner and all is well again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like Gearhead tunes personally. Matt just makes a good clean burning good running tune. I had them on my stock setup and now on my stage 1.5 setup.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When does tunes need to be changed? New transmission, makes scense, but what about turbo or injectors...so deciding on a tuner may change if tunes change

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love my DP Tuner

·
Registered
37 Posts
If staying with stock injectors and/or relatively stock (or upgraded "stock") trans, then try out the free PHP tunes that come with a hydra purchase first. Then you will at least have a baseline to compare custom tunes and tell the tuner specific changes if you still want them.

Custom Tuners (best at the current time):
1023 Diesel & Fleet (Dusty Hogate)
Jelibuilt Performance (Brian Jelich)
SDK Performance (Dan Kropinak)
AA Design & Tuning (Andrew Arthur)
Gearhead

Reactions: Flounder_Pounder

·
Registered
463 Posts
I vote for DP Tuner as well. Finally made the leap and so glad I did. Listened to RT! Good advice from him regarding DP Tuner!

I got a 80 HP city/highway tune and a 60 HP tow tune. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten an 80 HP tow tune.

Most of the time the 80 HP city/highway tune is more HP and torque to put a big smile on my old man face as I accelerate! Jody is the best, IMO.

Reactions: Whiskyb

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Over the years I have had several chips/programers in my trucks. I just put in the DP Tuner in my 99. 80 hp daily driver had good power with NO smoke!!! This shows that the truck is properly programed. Shift points where good. You can get a chip that can have tunes downloaded off computer by bluetooth in chase you upgrade after new mods. Great service, spent way too much time on the phone helping me figure things out!!
DENNY

·
Super Moderator
25,641 Posts
I've been running Jody's 80Econo tuned PCM for years. DP Tuner was very understanding when the first one was to aggressive for my 6-speed (my dentist would have loved that, but my driveline would have suffered from the clanking back and forth when trying to maintain a steady speed in the lower gears. Sent it back and they reprogrammed the PCM with their "Classic" 80Econo tune for free. No need to change anything after that. Very happy with that one. Completed a 12,500 mile road trip last year to pickup a new slide-in camper and haul a bunch of parts back home in a 6x10 enclosed trailer.
I'll add my recommendation for DP Tuner. (y)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does tuner build around a trabsmission or just generic? I would assume each trans is slightly different so what works for one may be clunky for other, just speculation,

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
When you fill out your form for your tunes, there is a spot for which transmission you have. The tunes are designed around all your customizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,641 Posts
Does tuner build around a trabsmission or just generic? I would assume each trans is slightly different so what works for one may be clunky for other, just speculation,
Just tell him your truck configuration (engine, tranny, PCM code, injectors, etc) and it'll come back to you right.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts