The Diesel Stop banner

Who Needs To Stop At A Weigh Station?

132K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  BS Hauler 
#1 ·
I was just curious as to what the laws were regarding who does and doesn't need to stop at a weigh station. Obviously, driving my unloaded F350 down the interstate, I wouldn't have to stop at one, however, what if I'm towing my 30' gooseneck with 5K on it for a total of 11.3K (including the trailer)? What if I had a 100 cobblestones in my bed (while not towing a trailer) that each weighed just under 20lbs?

#52 ·
Congratulations Mark. You win the dead thread resurrection prize today. 14 1/2 years since the last post. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of the participants are pushing up daisies by now. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#54 ·
Sometimes its just fun to read old threads.

#53 ·
LOL. Times change though. In those 14 1/2 year, CA now requires a non commercial Class A to tow RV trailers over 10K and 5th wheels over 15K. If you want to tow a 5th wheel with a boat behind it, you now need a Commercial class A. A Class C for a motorhome under 26K with 2 axles and under 45'. You can tow a 5th wheel under 15K with a class C provided you have the proper endorsements. You can imagine how complicated that can get.

States are also cracking down on DOT infractions. If you tow with a medium duty a trailer that is used to haul things that earn money, whether its a couple show horses going to competition, hauling a booth for a trade show for your company, or hauling a friends tractor for gas money, Federal law requires DOT compliance. A real slippery slope. To avoid DOT fines you must show proof that you own what is being hauled and is not used to earn money.

In Nebraska. they are also checking weight violations with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks hauling 5th wheel RV's. Heading into Nebraska from CO there is a scale with a sign that includes pickups with trailers to enter the scales. Prior to the entrance, there is a wave off board, and will signal whether or not you have to pull in. There was a 3/4 ton GMC behind me that I was following before the scales, and he was pulling a really big 5th wheel. He got flagged and had to enter the scales. So in the 14 years since this thread was originally posted, some things have changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.