The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
According to Florida State Statute 322.54 (d)

Any person, except a person who possesses a valid Class A, valid Class B, or valid Class C driver's license, who drives a truck or a truck tractor having a gross vehicle weight rating, a declared weight, or an actual weight, whichever is greatest, of 8,000 pounds or more but less than 26,001 pounds, or which has a width of more than 80 inches must possess a valid Class D driver's license. Any person who possesses a valid Class D driver's license may, subject to the appropriate restrictions and endorsements, drive any type of motor vehicle, other than the type of motor vehicle for which a Class A, Class B, or Class C driver's license is required, within this state

The statute is clear and that should dispel any rumors that you may have heard about this type of license. Also in this statute are the State of Florida requirements for all the other licenses. If you are still uncertain ask the judge when you see him or her and they will be happy to set you straight.

Remember, the majority of cops do not know the difference but 100% of the DOT officers do. If they did not ticket you for an improper license they probably were giving you a break. You should quit while you are ahead. Intentionally speeding past a law enforcement officer is not real smart anyway, but what do we know? Where are the regulations that you speak of, in the men's room at a truck stop?

Freightrain is right, why cause everybody including yourself problems? Just drive thru the scales and be on your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you start saying something go to the web site and look.
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/dlclass.html#non
I think after you read the florida web page you might want to correct the post.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You do not need a cdl but you do need a class A lisence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some states don't have a class A license /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Can you explain that one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What state does not have a class a License.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
SC does not have a class A non CDL. There is class D,E,G,F and M.

Below is from the SCDMV page-

Driver's License Classes
Regular (non-commercial) driver's licenses are issued in the following classes depending on the type and intended use of the vehicle.

Class D Passenger vehicles and all non-commercial vehicles that do not exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
Class E Non-commercial single unit vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
Class F Non-commercial combination vehicles that exceed 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
Class G Moped.
Class M Motorcycle.

Now before you get all "knowledgeable" on us remember you said and this is a quote ---"You do not need a cdl but you do need a class A lisence. "
There is no license in SC that is a class A that is not a CDL.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You are correct S carolina does not have a Class a non cdl. but they do have a class for that type of vehicle. You can not drive a motor home with a class D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Hi Ggg6,

[ QUOTE ]
T-bone I do not know why you got away with the trip you stated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Here in Il. All trucks over 8 tons must stop @ scales. Non RV over 26k requires a CDL unless a farmer which requires "exempt non CDL", this is national CDL rules not state rules. In Il as of 1-1-05 towing a trailer licensed TC or greater the tow vehicle must be a D plate (12k) or greater, with current safety inspections or both trailer and tow vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a good one for you that I've posted before:

My son went to Co. to pick up a 14ft bass boat his Grandfather gave him using his AZ, Ranger pick-up. He's comes past the scales at Cortez, Co and heads south to the Four Corners. Just as he gets to Four corners about 70miles away, he gets pulled over by DOT;

DOT says "Why didn't you scale at Cortez?

Son says "I was unware that trailers under 10,000lbs had to scale. Is this a spot check or something?"

DOT says "No, we help Game and Fish out and find most motor homes have over there limit in game. We noticed in the camera your AZ truck plate and the CO boat plate. You need to return to the Cortez scales, wheres your license"

Son hands his "CDL" license to the DOT officer.

About 10 minutes latter DOT officer comes back really pissed. My son is Federal Marshall and every time he gets stopped or questioned, his supervisor has to be notified. Read this as 4 hrs of paper work for the DOT officer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

He "let him go" for being a fellow officer but got a chewing out for failing to indentifiy himself.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You are correct S carolina does not have a Class a non cdl. but they do have a class for that type of vehicle. You can not drive a motor home with a class D

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again you are wrong with your statement "You can not drive a motor home with a class D ".

However I often fail to heed the advice to never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man/woman/it. So I'm done with YOU on this topic.

Either get your facts straight or go away.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again you are wrong with your statement. "You can not drive a motor home with a class D ".

However I often fail to heed the advice to never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man/woman/it. So I'm done with YOU on this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said the same thing I said. And I will say it again you must have the licsence that matches the vehical.If you have a truck and Rv trailer and it falls under the guide lines of a rv, then you dont need a CDL. but if you pull into the driveway and drop the RV and hook up to a trailer that hauls frieght and it falls into the guide lines of a CDL You better have a CDL. And sence Drivers of CDL vewhicles must only have ONE drivers licsence what does that tell you.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again you are wrong with your statement. "You can not drive a motor home with a class D ".

[/ QUOTE ]

You said the same thing I said. And I will say it again you must have the licsence that matches the vehical.If you have a truck and Rv trailer and it falls under the guide lines of a rv, then you dont need a CDL. but if you pull into the driveway and drop the RV and hook up to a trailer that hauls frieght and it falls into the guide lines of a CDL You better have a CDL. And sence Drivers of CDL vewhicles must only have ONE drivers licsence what does that tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see you're at it again ..... once again you're twisting everything around and trying to confuse people to cover up your comments.

you're making it sound like that since i have a CDL, that everything i drive "requires" me to have a CDL. yes, if i'm driving my mother's Explorer i better have my license (in this case a CDL) w/ me, but driving the Explorer does not "require" a CDL to operate.

i'm not sure why i even respond to you ... you are the same person that tried to tell me a '99 and newer F250 w/ a gas motor and 3.73 rear was not a Super Duty.

go figure

thomas

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Thomas I do not wish to start anything with you,nor do I wish to get the post locked up. Go back and read the post all from the very start not just the middle before jumping. That is the problem with this site the good old boy club jumps before the brain is ingaged and then It gets engaged they cant say Im sorry. To give you an example the previos post I stated something and the poster told me I was wrong and then stated the same thing I stated. So if I am wrong Is he.And when I showed him were he was wrong. as I think the rules say He did not wat to match wits with me. Kend of hard to match wits with someone that vame unarmed. Dont you think. Now for the post Dot say that If you are a CDL licsence holder you can have only one liscence. For those of you that dont have a CDL and dont work were you need one dont get mad please. If you drive a vehicale that requires a different liscence than the one you need for a regular car then you must get that class. For example If you have a race car trailer because that is your hobbie.and it wieghs over 26k and the truck you pull it with is a F-450 and it is properly liscence and it met the requirement for a different class. Then to do it right you must geta different class of liscence.Some states say if the vehicle is over 80 inches wide requires a different class. So that includes duelly pickups. Most new trailers are 102 wide so. So I guess what I am saying that If you have a vehical tht requires a different liscence acording to DMV.ORG and your state. Please dont give then the chance to give you a ticket. and if the sign said trucks over 8000lbs must wiegh and you are over go right and get weighed. In florida the sign reads all comercial vehicales and those with fruit and veg. and those hauling animals. and for those that dont know why It is not to harast you it is because fruit veg. and animals carry insects and brands that attack the native plants and animals and they the DOT have the Job oy protecting the enviroment to. If I take a big boat from the great lakes and it has a minnow of one of the fish stuck to the side of it and tow it south. I look at it and say it looks clean to me. and I put it into the great mississippi river and the water loosens the minnow and it starts that fish in the river and they grow and then they become a preditor with the fish and wild life of the mississippi and it kills them and then the hole world dies who do we blame. That is why we have rules to live by. and some people dont like rules so Im sorry for pointing them out. Hve a nice day

And for those of you that think it cant happen. It all ready has. the minnow is not just a story.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I see Petersen is up to it again. I have her blocked. It's easier.

Here is a confusing story.

I run a construction company with a small fleet of pickups. Some are normal 3/4 ton pickups (in bed cross toolbox/ a few have 90 gallons of off road fuel), some are utility beds w/fuel, and some are flatbeds. In addition we have guys/girls that drive their (privately owned) flatbeds and utility boxed trucks. Because we have a CA number, all of our one tons have to stop and scale. However, I have been told (and I found it in the CA regs to confirm) that any modified pickup body (3/4 ton utility box's or flatbeds) also has to stop. I passed this on to the guys/girls and without exception the Private guys/girls said "BS, I am not gonna stop." Fine. It's not my ticket "Do what ever you want". By the way, none of our 3/4 tons have a company name on them.

My 3/4 ton guys/girls (with modified beds) stop at all the scales and have yet to be pulled in for a truck inspection. A few have been pulled in to check for red fuel in the truck tanks. Again, mostly the one tons with the CA number. But that is usually only when crossing out of NV. My private folks have yet to be stopped for passing a scale. All but one of the privates packs their own fuel. They all travel together (company and privates), nose to tail, for thousands of accumulated miles per year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif.

So I ask you, what is the rule really?

Sorry for the long rant,

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just curious as to what the laws were regarding who does and doesn't need to stop at a weigh station. Obviously, driving my unloaded F350 down the interstate, I wouldn't have to stop at one, however, what if I'm towing my 30' gooseneck with 5K on it for a total of 11.3K (including the trailer)? What if I had a 100 cobblestones in my bed (while not towing a trailer) that each weighed just under 20lbs?
Any vehicle over 26k requires a CDL. There was a post on this a while back, I think it was the 6.0 forum. A guy got stoped in PA. and got a big fine for weight, no CDL, and no log book. He had a new F350 and a fithwheel camper.
Actually it is different for every state. All states look at RV's from there home of record. I you need a CDL in Texas to drive a 40,000lb motor home you need one everywhere as long as it's registered in Texas. In Vermont, lets say, You don't need any special license to drive a motorhome so you don' need one anywhere. "UNLESS.... It is registered as a commercial Vehicle. A typical CDL is required to pull a trailer over 10,000lbs. IF you need ta CDL to pull or drive an RV there would be no RV's on the road as all of them weigh over 10,000 and most Class A's are 35,000-50,000lbs. And most older guys driving class A's would not be able to pass a physical to get a al CDL. "I hate saying that "I'm an Old Guy"/\.

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
Congratulations Mark. You win the dead thread resurrection prize today. 14 1/2 years since the last post. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of the participants are pushing up daisies by now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts