The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What are the scientific reasons why we don't have internal combustion engines built specifically to run on Brown's gasNote: I am not talking about this stuff people talk about with adding it to a gasoline engine, I am talking about an ICE built from the ground up to run strictly on Brown's gas

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
An engine can run on it, but the problem is that the oxyhydrogen gas can't be generated fast enough to generate much energy. Maybe you could run a lawnmower on it successfully, but a vehicle engine, not so much. It takes more energy to generate Brown's gas than you get from combusting it. If you generate it off vehicle and compress it, then maybe, but going to that much trouble, you should just go with a hydrogen fueled vehicle. And even those aren't ready for prime time yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
The problem is that it takes more energy to generate the gas than you get from burning it. It doesn't matter if it is a lawn mower or a semi truck, you need a HUGE electrical source to produce the gas in enough quantity to move the vehicle. So if you had a 200 HP engine to power the vehicle, you would need an additional engine of maybe 250 HP (I haven't run the actual numbers, I could be off a little here) generating electricity to produce the gas. And that would need to run on something other than Brown's gas, or you would have nothing to power the engine that moves the vehicle.

The people the believe this can work are betting on perpetual motion machines. Those do not work.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
About 8 years ago or so there was a Husband/Wife team on the Missouri Energy Channel on television who were not only making Brown gas with a submerged arc with a limited power supply but who through trial and error were trying to compress and store it.....which they had been told couldn’t be done.
They received death threats and had their building vandalized. They did become successful and got a patent. With 48 hours their show (which I use to watch daily) was off the air with a notice from the producer that they had sold their patent to a HUGE corporation.
I’m sure it has been sealed up and hidden from the light of day forever.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
And while a different fuel, and with my welding background, I have studied and been wanting to build a wood gasification unit. Very fascinating and is in operation at different facilities on all different scales from very small units to very large.

Very interesting reading under the “History” tab of the above site:

FD72A3B0-D7A4-4E26-AC30-9C450931394D.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts