The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some will argue the WH decisions influence fuel prices and some will argue against it.
Thats best left in political forums.
But the economics of real-time pump prices are explained here in a WSJ article that is supported by numerous Industry opinions.

Soonest we can hope for higher inventories and lower diesel prices will very likely be after this 2022/2023 Northern Hemisphere Winter is over.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
I've put less than 100 miles on my truck since last February and the prices for fuel is one of the reasons.

A hunting partner and I put in for a hunt down in Arizona for this upcoming February and we didn't draw our tags. This saved us from a 2200 mile round trip at the higher prices. This saved us from a $1000 fuel bill for the round trip

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Some will argue the WH decisions influence fuel prices and some will argue against it.
Thats best left in political forums.
But the economics of real-time pump prices are explained here in a WSJ article that is supported by numerous Industry opinions.

Soonest we can hope for higher inventories and lower diesel prices will very likely be after this 2022/2023 Northern Hemisphere Winter is over.

I’ve read several explanations and it all sounds like a lot of B.S. to me. 0ver $2 dollars more per gallon than gas but a less refined product😡

·
Administrator
24,966 Posts
Here's more info. Link
Sent to me by a friend. There's nowhere near a buck difference between diesel and gas up here, but it is a bit higher. :( We may just be in a shipping lag, as nearly all of our diesel gets shipped up here, even though Alaska is a major crude supplier, there's only a couple of tiny refineries.

Please keep the politics out, or the thread will be deleted.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Come to california where diesel is $6 and some places $7. There is a war on diesel. Just look at the EPA cracking down on tuners. The problem is diesel moves the country and it's the main driver of inflation. If they would let refiners make diesel than the price of goods would drop

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
$4.50 for diesel vs. $3 for RUG around here. I'm liking the new 7.3 better now, lol.
Not sure about cents per mile yet...but I think the new truck is doing better than the old one.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Just filled up my gas car yesterday at COSTCO. Low octane gas was $3.76 a gallon, diesel was $5.29 a gallon

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pre-Covid/pre-inflation, diesel in San Antonio ran btwn $2.65-$2.75. The highest it got (at the Walmart where I get fuel) was $5.29. Yesterday was $4.09. Thankful it’s coming down but not fast enough. RUL is $2.75. I read the issue isn’t crude supply but refining capacity keep diesel high.
Happy Thanksgiving everone!

·
Registered
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 Auto CC LB 7.3 3.73 axles 4” exhaust
136 Posts
Back 2002 when I bought 7.3 diesel was $1 a gallon cheaper than gas. It was a easy decision to buy a diesel truck. Now with diesel fuel being so high I believe a gasoline powered truck is the way to go. We’re all getting gouged by high diesel price. Refinery capacity maybe somewhat damaged from hurricanes and a fire. Doesn’t look like there in a big hurry to fix anything. Arabs have cut production also driving the price. Best thing to do for Xmas is not to give any gifts or have a celebration. Parking a few over the road trucks.
perhaps we are near a Transition to another fuel source besides electric and oil to drive our vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back 2002 when I bought 7.3 diesel was $1 a gallon cheaper than gas. It was a easy decision to buy a diesel truck. Now with diesel fuel being so high I believe a gasoline powered truck is the way to go. We’re all getting gouged by high diesel price. Refinery capacity maybe somewhat damaged from hurricanes and a fire. Doesn’t look like there in a big hurry to fix anything. Arabs have cut production also driving the price. Best thing to do for Xmas is not to give any gifts or have a celebration. Parking a few over the road trucks.
perhaps we are near a Transition to another fuel source besides electric and oil to drive our vehicles.
VW, I bought my 7.3L Excursion in ‘02 as well when sulfured diesel was 30% lower than gas. In ‘04 I put my truck into storage when I moved to Japan (military). I drove it a few times to empty the tank, keep the seals lubed on a few trips back to the US over the next 3 yrs, but to my surprise ultra-low surfer diesel was instituted ~’06. Not only did I lose 20% of my fuel economy (sulfur is an important part of diesel efficiency) but the price leapfrogged gas by over 10%.
Turns out low sulfur oil isn’t found much in the US, so we have to import it.

·
Administrator
24,966 Posts
Turns out low sulfur oil isn’t found much in the US, so we have to import it.
Actually, we produce a fair amount of low sulfur (sweet) oil. Read this.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I bought gas for $2.96/gal (posted price - no points) last week in Collierville (Memphis suburb), TN, at the Kroger station.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
25 minutes from home, today’s prices, good quality fuel and cheapest around here right now

Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Well, I don't have to worry about it anymore, sold my old truck yesterday.
Thanks to all here who have helped me deal with mostly normal things throughout the years.
Good luck with the diesel prices...they always climb in the winter for sure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Desperate men do desperate things. I had mineral spirits for painting clean up left over in a 1 gallon can. Probably a 1/2 gallon or so, I dumped it in the tank. Just saying recently been looking at other things to dump in there with the diesel. Soybean oil was used by the Chinese in World War II. They said they made more power with it. I checked price on soy oil $20 a gallon is too much. Truck is sitting mostly in driveway a good place till winter ends.

·
Administrator
24,966 Posts
Desperate men do desperate things. I had mineral spirits for painting clean up left over in a 1 gallon can. Probably a 1/2 gallon or so, I dumped it in the tank.
:oops:
I'd have to be REAL desperate to dump used mineral spirits in my fuel tank. The residual crap from the paint would probably do bad things to the injectors, costing way more than the 1/2 gal of diesel fuel saved.

·
Administrator
24,966 Posts
@klhansen , clean we’re used, no side affects. Probably I will call a Chemist friend next time for opinion on suitability.
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

FWIW, When Rudolph Diesel invented his engine, he ran it on peanut oil. So they'll run on lots of different things. Gasoline is an exception, unless specifically designed for it. The old Army M35 2-1/2 ton trucks used a Continental engine that was supposedly "multi-fuel" that included gasoline.

·
Registered
136 Posts
back in the 80’s when confronted with sub zero, I added 1 gallon on gasoline in my rabbit diesel. At that time no1 diesel and no2 were blended 50%/50% most places. I could not find blended diesel, so gasoline was added. Only 1 time ever since owning a diesels. I have Gelled in extreme cold. I took the sending unit out of the tank and saw wax chunks floating in there. Not good. I run fuel additive year round. not a fan of adding used fryer grease blend in my diesels. Injection pumps are to expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts