The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2000 F250 7.3 CC 4wd for about a year. Just recently (several times) I've noticed that after I've started up and driven only a few hundred yards my headlights and dash lights get brighter all of a sudden. Haven't done any diagnostics yet, but maybe this is a known problem?
John

·
Premium Member
8,821 Posts
It is normal. The glow plugs will stay on for up to 2 minutes and during that time the alternator has a hard time keeping up with the amperage draw from them. When they shut off that is when the lights will get brighter. If you also watch the volt gauge on the dash you will notice that it will stay quite low for the same amount of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bugman. That makes me feel better. Now iI wonder why I don't recall seeing it until recently. That makes me feel worse again... maybe I'm getting old...
Perhaps it's more noticeable in cold weather?

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
The cold weather might affect it - First, the glow plugs stay on longer based on oil temperature at start up. Second, the batteries are going to be weaker in cold weather and the load of the glow plugs probably pulls them further down. It theoretically could be an early warning sign your batteries are going south.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Might suggest your batteries are getting weak. Hard to know what is going on w/o a set of gauges. Might be a good time to invest in a scan guage 2 or an edge insight. They plug into the computer port and tell you all temps, volts and some pressures. Well worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not surprisingly, I'm not familiar with the "scan guage 2 or an edge insight". Where does one get them?

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts