The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my F350 now for almost 15 years (155K) and it has been great. Completely oem stock other than shocks and F450 air filter assembly. One of the first things I did in '02 was to hook up my fifth wheel camper and take a 3 week / 5000 mile trip with the wife and kids. The truck pulls as hard today as it did then, although it rarely sees anything more than a aluminum horse trailer behind it now which brings up my reason for the post.
I will be buying a new truck very soon and though I have never needed a 4X4 in the past, I do now because of moving to the woods and pulling a tractor down dirt / gravel roads.
A lot of the new superduty 4X4 trucks I see look they are over loaded pulling a lawn equipment trailer or small tractor.
What is the deal with this? Why so much sag? Are air bags needed as you leave the lot? I've always loved the way my F350 SRW pulls level and has very minimal sag.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
I suspect that as Ford has moved away from selling to those of us that use our trucks for towing, hauling, ranching, farming and the like towards the group that need a $60,000 vehicle to haul groceries and impress their neighbors that soft rides have prevailed just like electric butt warmers and built in entertainment centers. I sure wish there was a truck line that sold heavy duty trucks without the lace and frills. Maybe International needs to come back into the pickup market.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I don't think it's that the rear ends are sagging... Ford has seen so many owners jacking up their front ends with spcers they must have decided just to raise the front at the factory. :silly:

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I prefer to use airbags on trucks that see multi use. I have had a 1999 and 2000 F350. I put bags on both. Depending on trailer size/weight or bed load, I can adjust the rear to set level. Springs without give means a very rough ride when empty. I just wish they would stop jacking the trucks up so high. Makes loading and unloading a major pain.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My 2016 sags worse than my 2005. Airbags are the answer

·
Registered
296 Posts
Make sure you get the correct payload for what you need. There are F350s with the same payload as the F250 and there are higher payload F350s. I saw many folks are claiming to have a sagging problem. I had a 2003 F350 with a high payload an replaced it with a 2016 F350 with a high payload. Add my 10,000 lb Gooseneck horse trailer with 65 gallons of water in the bed and no sag on either.

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Did you ever positively identify what model you were looking at? Plenty of trucks "look" the same but are quite different with payload capacity. The worst thing out there is the local/state taxes people are forced to pay due to GVWR. So plenty people buy "under rated" trucks and still pull high weight loads.

FYI the rear springs on most SRW trucks are the same across the all SRW models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed this too with the newer trucks but you're right. A lot of companies now are selling their trucks almost like luxury vehicles with all the amenities and a truck bed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is a good example of what I am talking about. New Truck sitting on the lot, no load.
NEW 2016 Ford Super Duty F-250 SRW 4WD Crew Cab 156"
I can only imagine putting a 1000lbs in the bed or on the hitch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
GVWR is 10k, truck might weigh 8000 or more. So at best you would be able to have a 2k load in the truck.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
And yet a pallet of concrete weighs 3,360 pounds and my 02 F250 doesn't even get into the overload springs with that. The only load I've ever carried that I felt uncomfortable with was a cubic yard of wet stabilized sand. Of course, they were pretty generous with the front end loader, so I'd guess it was closer to 1 1/2 cubic yards, but that stuff is dense.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is a good example of what I am talking about. New Truck sitting on the lot, no load.
NEW 2016 Ford Super Duty F-250 SRW 4WD Crew Cab 156"
I can only imagine putting a 1000lbs in the bed or on the hitch.
The picture you posted sure looks a little too level for a truck with no load in it. And the bed may even be lower than level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine was like this, I wanted to keep things simple and put in addaleafs. When I initially hooked up a very lightly loaded tandem landscape trailer the nose went up in the air. My guess was the tongue weight was 300-350 lbs. The other option was swapping to the 4" blocks, but the factory springs were also just too light and squashy. The ride was originally phenomenal on the highway unloaded and it felt "car-like", and the addaleafs stiffened things up quite a bit to what a 3/4 ton normally feels like. Looking back, I wished there was a leaf kit that added only about 5-600 lbs of increased payload and less than an inch of lift, mine is closer to 2".

·
Registered
296 Posts
My theory is folks are buying F250s with the 9900 or 10000 lb gross vehicle weight (GVWR) package (heavy one for F250s is the 10000). This leaves only 2500 - 3000 lbs as the capacity

Or for the F350 SRW you can get from 10000 lb to 11500 capacity so they are getting the 10,000 GVWR package and wondering why they sag.

I got the 11300 GVWR on mine. I tow a 10,000 lb gooseneck horsetrailer. 2000 lb tongue weight and a 65 gallon water tank in my bed (420 lbs or so). It sits level with the trailer on it.

For the F350 DRW you can get from 13,000 GVWR to 14000. Big difference.

On my 2003 it had a 11500 capacity. It sagged in the back a little when i towed because I put X code springs in the front to level it when empty. It looked great empy!

So my guess is people are buying the 9900 or 10,000 lb GVWR packages, don't know it and then wonder why their truck sags when they load it to capacity or overload it, but rides great empty. Or they are overloading their trucks and don't know it. The trucks all look the same from the outside.

What do you think?

Terry

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
^ I agree with the philosophy.
Many are over loading. We actually just had a recent thread with a guy getting a new 5th wheel camper built. Just running dry without the batteries and propane tank, he was gonna be about 500 lbs overweight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have racks and boxes in the back of my truck, but my 2016 only has 3 leafs on it. My 2005 had more than that. I think they are Cushing out the ride to make it smoother.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Another thing to consider is that all F250's regardless of GVW have a 2" block in the back. The F350 DRW trucks all have the same 2" block. The SRW F350 is the only model with the 4" blocks. F350 SRW's can be had with and without the helper spring. If you don't have the helper you don't have the highest GVW package and the truck will sag when loaded…. especially if you load up heavy. People need to look at the window sticker and read the weights on the door sticker to see what you are actually buying. The F250's sit pretty level from the factory regardless of springs…they ALL have a 2" spacer. The F350 SRW with the helper sits up a lot higher than the F250 since it comes with the 4" block in the back. It does not drop as fast when loaded either.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
And yet a pallet of concrete weighs 3,360 pounds and my 02 F250 doesn't even get into the overload springs with that. The only load I've ever carried that I felt uncomfortable with was a cubic yard of wet stabilized sand. Of course, they were pretty generous with the front end loader, so I'd guess it was closer to 1 1/2 cubic yards, but that stuff is dense.
That's right, but your 02 rides like a brick. I had an 01 and you could load it down and it would barely squat, but again, it road like a brick.
Since 08, Ford has been chasing a softer ride and tinkering with spring rates. That's why the rear sags so easily. Poor thinking on Ford's part IMO, but I think they have it right now with the 17 model.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
It rides just like a buckboard on a washboard road, but I've never had a kidney stone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I built my 2015 F350 SRW, I don't remember seeing anything to change the suspension other than snowplow and camper packages. I was also under the impression that GVW labels were just labels for state registration requirements, not suspension changes. Also, the 2000 lb pin weight of my fiver does lower the rear end an inch or two, but I would hardly call it sagging.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts