The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to why the "tow safe" positions on multi-position chips are on the low end of added power? If your egt's aren't getting very high in the higher settings, why not use them. Is it too much for the tranny to put down? If your tranny temps are ok, why not step it up a notch. Seems that the higher settings are better for economy, so why not use them for towing as well?

·
Registered
285 Posts
We towed all summer with a TS 125 in a Dually. We were towing a 45' offshore boat with a total weight of around 14,500 with no problems. You just need to watch the egt's on big climbs and the tranny temp.
It would get hot it you let it but could easily be controlled with the right foot.

Huck

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
"WE" don't, I got mine in the extreme setting, all the time!

Granted, I might get a little better fuel mileage in a lower setting, but I don't worry about that.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
I believe its mostly a "cover their buts" setting. The chip/tuner manufacturer has to assume that the truck has no other mods. No gauges, no intake, no exhaust.

With a stock truck, their "tow safe" mode should not exceed safe temperatures and they wont have to worry about getting sued for selling a product that breaks alot of trucks.

Now, if you DO have all of those mods, then yes, you can tow in a higher setting. For one, your truck is breathing better (lower EGT's) and two, you have gauges to watch all your temps.

In that case only, are you allowed to tow in a higher setting.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If your egt's aren't getting very high in the higher settings, why not use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because EGT and boost will jump up and bite you in a heartbeat. Running on cruise control and come up on a steep grade while you weren't paying close enough attention to your driving, the tranny downshifts and you hit 1,600 EGT and 30 PSI boost before you can react to kill the cruise.

But if you pay attention to what's going on while towing, the main thing is to never allow more than 1,250 to 1,300 EGT or 25 PSI boost. For every grade that will cause the tranny to downshift, manually kill the cruise control and drive by the gauges up the grade. If you'll do that, then it doesn't matter which setting you use on the chip or programmer.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Its mostly for safe EGTs. If the truck is set up with the right parts, you should be able to tow with farely high hp. I tow about 10K with mine int he mountians using the Banks Big Hoss 120hp. EGTs never exceed 1250F pre turbo. Keep in mind to do this all the mods I have on the truck, compressor wheel, Big Head actuator, Banks exhaust housing on the turbo, 4" exhaust with Aeroturbine, AIS intake modified and Turbo Air Guide (TAG) to name a few. All these parts work together to keep EGTs down and deliver the power with better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
It’s all about support mods. If you can maintain acceptable egts you can use the tune to tow with.

I tow in light tow with 9k behind me and 160/30 injectors.
SDK tunes are great.
Some of these older flash programmers or companies write Smokey, high egt tunes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My tow setting changes the shift points of the transmission. I can tow in my hotter tunes, but I prefer the tow setting. If the egts are good ,use what you like.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The shift points on my tow tune are very firm. For the light weight toy hauler I usually tow it is too much, so I just keep it in the econo tune.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wife and I tow with DP Tuner's 80HP City/Highway tune, but I watch my EGTs closely. Most of the time high EGTs are not a problem. unless we are in the mountains. We have a small trailer. Also have a 60HP tow tune, but I prefer towing with the 80HP city/highway tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts