The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought an early 99 and something is terribly wrong.. there is not a single leak anywhere and the engine and transmission are oil free.. this cannot be right.. Ive put about 1000 miles on her so if she was cleaned up and was gonna puke she would have by now..

In all seriousness. this truck is for my wife, her 9 yr old maybe my young nieces and nephew and myself to go camping.. we are towing a 5th wheel weighing loaded at about 10k.

It has 240k on it.

Ive done the following:

Replaced upper and lower coolant hoses.
Checked all front end parts and ended up replacing the steering box now it tracks nice.
I meant to replace the diff lube but need to get to that.
Trans is a ford dealer 1 yr old rebuild.. should I pull the filter and replace with synthetic?
In running a crappy edge tuner soon to be replaced with a good one.
The injectors and seats or whatever they are called are supposed to have been replaced last may.. still traces of diesel in the coolant. It was flushed 4x.. still a little film of diesel in the coolant over flow tank. Advice on this?
The coolant over flow seems to have some checks in it.. like patina but not in a good way.. so I guess that should be done..

EDIT; new brakes, rotors, calipers and pads.. calipers were sticking badly.
EDIT: added EGT.. 3 trips and never went above 1150f in 4th up hills.

What else should I do? I dont want to be on the side of the road with kids..

Oh new Michelins.

also front 4wd axles are out for an unknown reason.. Im thinking about leaving them out for MPG. Bad idea?

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Get a transmission temperature gauge and a 6.0 cooler. Drop your transmission pan every 15,000 miles and inspect the magnet. It takes 8 quarts to fill it up after that. By doing this, you keep the contaminants diluted out and the additive package fresh. I use Valvoline Dex/Merc. from Walmart.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Get a transmission temperature gauge and a 6.0 cooler. Drop your transmission pan every 15,000 miles and inspect the magnet. It takes 8 quarts to fill it up after that. By doing this, you keep the contaminants diluted out and the additive package fresh. I use Valvoline Dex/Merc. from Walmart.

Thanks.. The Edge evolution shows early 99 ATF temp.. and its never gone above 166 so far.

Ok, since I dont know the miles Im going to do the ATF fluid and filter. thanks.

EDIT: and I'll do the 6.0 cooler at the same time.

EDIT again: would really like advise on the diesel film still in coolant.. I know its not adding any diesel because the level is unchanged after about 700 towing miles. Can the diesel ruin any o rings in the coolant?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture of our baby.. shes been a work truck but we cleaned her up and are very proud to be her new owner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Yes, the diesel can hurt the radiator hoses and some of the orings. I would suggest putting a gallon of simple green in the system and driving it for an hour or so. Next, put a Prestone flush kit on, pull the thermostat and flush with a garden hose for as long as it takes for the water coming out the degas bottle to be clean enough that you would drink it. Drain the fluid, fill with four gallons distilled water, run for ten minutes and repeat- 3 or 4 times. Then drain one more time, replace the thermostat, and fill with four gallons concentrate antifreeze. ELC if it is 99.5 or later. Fleetcharge if it is an early 99.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the diesel can hurt the radiator hoses and some of the orings. I would suggest putting a gallon of simple green in the system and driving it for an hour or so. Next, put a Prestone flush kit on, pull the thermostat and flush with a garden hose for as long as it takes for the water coming out the degas bottle to be clean enough that you would drink it. Drain the fluid, fill with four gallons distilled water, run for ten minutes and repeat- 3 or 4 times. Then drain one more time, replace the thermostat, and fill with four gallons concentrate antifreeze. ELC if it is 99.5 or later. Fleetcharge if it is an early 99.

Ok. I'll add this to the list. Need to come up with a responsible way to deal with all this coolant.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Ethylene glycol breaks down very rapidly in the environment. Unless you drink it, it is actually safe to pour it in your backyard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts