The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..dumb question.. but one of my guys topped off my 1999 Freightliner with the 8.3 Cummins with one gallon of RV Antifreeze instead of red elc coolant.

The whole system is going to be drained flushed and refilled with proper coolant.

My question is can I run it for one day before we drive it to the shop or is it risky?

Really need it for Mondays job and to drive it to the shop but not if it could ruin the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
How many gallons is your cooling system?

I would wait until there is more of a concensus but my opinion is the RV antifreeze will remove the ELC extended life properties and the ELC might lose a slight amount of heat dissipation but your system is large enough that one gallon RV (propolyne glycol) coolant will not have immediate adverse affects on the cooling system in another week of operating.

You could even top up the system now with an amount of undiluted ELC (if there is room for 1-2 quarts).

Your plan to flush the system soon will sufficiently remove the chemical effects of the RV Antifreeze.

As for the guy who did this...well this fiasco should be good for atleast 1-2 years of ribbing.

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
I agree with ArcticDriver. Won't hurt a thing, especially for a day or two. Evans coolant used to be a big deal a while back. It was 100% propylene glycol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many gallons is your cooling system?

I would wait until there is more of a concensus but my opinion is the RV antifreeze will remove the ELC extended life properties and the ELC might lose a slight amount of heat dissipation but your system is large enough that one gallon RV (propolyne glycol) coolant will not have immediate adverse affects on the cooling system in another week of operating.

You could even top up the system now with an amount of undiluted ELC (if there is room for 1-2 quarts).

Your plan to flush the system soon will sufficiently remove the chemical effects of the RV Antifreeze.

As for the guy who did this...well this fiasco should be good for atleast 1-2 years of ribbing.
Thank you. I think its around 12 gallon capacity

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with ArcticDriver. Won't hurt a thing, especially for a day or two. Evans coolant used to be a big deal a while back. It was 100% propylene glycol.
No kidding. This stuff does have ethanol as the second ingredient which is a little alarming. Also large bold letters saying not to use in automotive cooling systems.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
It lacks many of the other benefits of coolants such as boil-over protection, lubrication, protection from cavitation and anti-corrosive properties.

It is designed only as a freeze preventative.

At a 12-gallon capacity, the RV anti-freeze will be sufficiently diluted for your intended operation.

Reactions: dieseldirt

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It lacks many of the other benefits of coolants such as boil-over protection, lubrication, protection from cavitation and anti-corrosive properties.

It is designed only as a freeze preventative.

At a 12-gallon capacity, the RV anti-freeze will be sufficiently diluted for your intended operation.
Thanks !!

Random, but coolant level should be checked when truck is hot not cold right?

Ive been checking them hot for 15 years :D

What I’m getting at is it might be overfilled now as well ..

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
There should be an overflow in the cooling system that will allow excess coolant to drain when it gets hot and expands.

Typically in the degas or coolant reservoir.

Reactions: dieseldirt

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
This stuff does have ethanol as the second ingredient which is a little alarming.
Don't worry, ethanol used to be used by itself for automotive anti-freeze back in the 20's and 30's. But like ArcticDriver said, the concentration will be very low.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Don't worry, ethanol used to be used by itself for automotive anti-freeze back in the 20's and 30's. But like ArcticDriver said, the concentration will be very low.
That’s right, occifer - jusht a shipment antifreeze. No moonshine here, hic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure what is meant by RV antifreeze? There are antifreeze for diesel pusher RV's then there is antifreeze they put in the drinking water system.
Antifreeze is not classified by car truck or RV.
They do make diesel antifreeze and it could be used in a diesel pusher or a truck.

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
RV antifreeze is what's used for winterizing RV water systems. The propylene glycol it contains is non-toxic (but tastes nasty if you don't get it completely flushed out in the spring. :()

·
Registered
339 Posts
RV antifreeze is what's used for winterizing RV water systems. The propylene glycol it contains is non-toxic (but tastes nasty if you don't get it completely flushed out in the spring. :()
I would never use that stuff in a radiator. I bet it doesn't come close to meeting any specs for Ford. I would get that stuff out of the system as soon as possable. it would have been better just to add distilled water instead of RV antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I might be mistaken but I think the intent of the operator was good and commendable that he actually checks his fluids. It sounded like he just did not understand the difference in the various types of anti-freeze.

I doubt he will make that particular mistake again😀

1 - 14 of 14 Posts