1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ughhh!, That may be a while...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My guess is that most issues are engine related and cycle through the 6.0 Powerstroke Engine and Drivetrain Forum.

There are still a number of them on the road, but are so similar to the F250-350s with the exception of the rear cargo areas and a few other options, that most issues are addressed in other areas where they get more visibility.

But, we should make sure the light stays on here, someone might come home late on night....

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, my understanding is that Ford only built about 175,000 of these Excursion units over a 6 year period...
In about 4 different engines sizes......7.3 ltr diesel, 6.0 ltr. Diesel, 5.4 Ltr. Gas, and 6.8 Ltr Gas...
So some of the other gas engines may have seen their better day....
I mean, even a 2005, is now nearly 13 years old, and my 7.3 ltr. is going to be 18 yrs old soon...
Like my mechanic said, these things will keep running as long as you can get parts for them...
And that maybe a long time, as many of the parts are interchangeable with the F-250 Pickup trucks...
I feel the most interesting thing is that in the last 18 years or so, the Auto industry has built probably well over 200 MILLION vehicles....and only approx, 175,000 Excursions with various engines.
So, for anybody looking to buy a 3/4 ton SUV, preferably with a diesel, they have but very limited options..I don't think the Chev. builds a 3/4 ton SUV [2500] any more...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I suspect a LOT of Excursions were exported to the Middle East, where fuel is cheap. They would be an incredible status symbol, for wealthy folks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greetings Mike;
There isn't much going on here at the TDS for Excursions for sure...
My own personal opinion is, that the moderators here killed it..
I posted something about my tires [for my EXCURSION] here, and they killed it and moved it... [ ?????? ]
Take note; Over on the Ford Truck Enthusiast [FTE] Forum, over there they talk about what ever or anything thing they want...
Admittedly, there are not a lot of Excursions left..
I've got a Y2K-X with a 7.3, 4x4....
And just out of curiosity I went to AutoTrader to see what it might be worth...
I put in all the pertinent information, and only came back with about 50-60 for sale in all of the US...
Ford only made about 170,000 of Excursions in all engine configurations
I could see my truck selling for $15,000 easily..
Over on FTE, they were talking about some guy selling his for $28,000
I read the FTE every day to see what's going on over there...
Over here it's TOTALLY DEAD...
Just wondering if they'll delete my post for saying what I just said...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Lot of pricks on FTE.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just went and bought a 2001 excursion after my 2002 is getting way to rusty. I was able to move alot of stuff over to the new one. Wife absolutely loves them, thats why when it came time to replace the 02 she said she wanted another one. Found a pretty clean one from Florida, went and bought it . Have to get rid of some small things from previous owner but nothing to big to deal with, for pulling the trailer for me it works great and travels nicely for trips. Now Just have to clean the 02 up and unload it .

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Greetings BlueOx1;
May Ask how much you paid for it ????...
I love my truck, but at my age [80], I no longer need it any more, and was considering selling it...
I was checking AutoTrader, and there aren't a lot of them available anymore,
or the people who have the 7.3's are keeping them..
I've keep up with all the maintenance and up grades on it...
NO RUST....Mostly Florida and No.Carolina homed...
Well used, and well maintained, with 273,000/mi...on it..
With continued maintaince on them, there no reason these trucks can't go to 5-600,000/mi.
Note to 79Jasper;
There maybe a lot of people you may NOT like over at FTE...
BUT: I've extracted a lot of good information about Excursions over there...
The other day, I learned how to flush my power steering pump...
Pictures and all...
So, I don't post over there, I just scan what I want to see..

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Right. There is some good info, just have to mine through the bs. Lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
I paid 19k for it, Feel like a sucker somewhat for paying that much for it. It is clean and should last for as long as I need it. I paid less for my 02 in 2007 and it has more options than my 2001. But I do use the vehicle for what it is intended for, I drove our 02 all over the country and hope to do the same with this one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, my understanding is that Ford only built about 175,000 of these Excursion units over a 6 year period...
In about 4 different engines sizes......7.3 ltr diesel, 6.0 ltr. Diesel, 5.4 Ltr. Gas, and 6.8 Ltr Gas...
So some of the other gas engines may have seen their better day....
I mean, even a 2005, is now nearly 13 years old, and my 7.3 ltr. is going to be 18 yrs old soon...
Like my mechanic said, these things will keep running as long as you can get parts for them...
And that maybe a long time, as many of the parts are interchangeable with the F-250 Pickup trucks...
I feel the most interesting thing is that in the last 18 years or so, the Auto industry has built probably well over 200 MILLION vehicles....and only approx, 175,000 Excursions with various engines.
So, for anybody looking to buy a 3/4 ton SUV, preferably with a diesel, they have but very limited options..I don't think the Chev. builds a 3/4 ton SUV [2500] any more...
GM hasn't made a diesel 3/4 ton SUV since 1999. The Suburban had a 6.5L Turbo Diesel option up until that year. I just recently purchased a 2004 Excursion Eddie Bauer Edition with 189k miles so I will be perusing the site again for all kinds of help and advice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
BlueOx1, I'm in the same boat. My Ex is starting to get rust along the rear fender wells and the bottom of the doors. But I'm going to take the plunge and get the rust repaired. Gonna start getting quotes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The problem we ran into no one would fix our rockers on ours. There is big holes in it and so far gone we had 3 separate well respected body shops tell us they wouldn't touch it. I guess the way it ties into the c pillar and floors is a pain in the butt. I even talked to the one shop that knows us well and has done a decent amount of work , I offered him 10k to fix it and he said no way. So if your going to get it fixed do it soon .
Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow excursion owners. I just joined the forum and this is the 1st time I've done the forum thing so forgive me for not posting in the correct place or if it takes me 3 months to reply. I don't spend much time on computer or even sit down very often. lol. I have owned mine for 13-14 years. 250,000 on stock original 7.3 motor. I love my truck and it has been awesome. Very little has been replaced. 2 water pumps, 3 alternators, idler pulley, fuel injection wiring harnesses, glow plugs & control module, oil cooler O-rings-gaskets and fuel filter O-rings. Never a "mod" done. Just maintained. But I do have a problem with a/c now. Rear air was blowing but not cold. Front was good. Then after a week the rear started blowing cold again. But the front wasn't as cold just cool. Seems weird but seemed to get warmer going up hill or under a load like take off, but cooler when going down hill or on a flat with lower rpm. Then yesterday both stopped getting cold, just cool. Today the rear is cold as it should be but front is barely cooling. Are all the blend door actuators electric or vacuum on ours? When I turn the selector it does get hotter and turn it back it gets cooler, just not cold. So I think blend door is working. Just thinking if it was vacuum, maybe I have a leak somewhere. Maybe trash in system moving around? Any of y'all had similar problem? If so did u find a fix? Its hot in Tn and I need to figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Have the pressures checked.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So what do you guys think of a 2000 7.3 Limited for $17,990? Has 235K on it. There is also a 05 Limited 6.0 with 142K on it for $20K and an 03 7.3 with 202K on it for $17,741. I have always wanted an Excursion, and need a tow rig.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Price seems high for the mileage,I have my 02 for sale for 11k with 228k. you should be able to find a under 150k mile truck for with a 7.3 for under 18,000.00. I wont even look at a 6.0 with the reputation they have , I take to far of trips to have my truck breakdown and have to have work done.The guy we bought our 01 from in jersey seemed to have quite a few of excursions for sale .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts