The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Thats what I thought. Seems like they are taking advantage of the rarity. Up here a decent 7.3 sells for a premium. Not unusual to find a 7.3 F350 with low miles sell for $30K or more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
without knowing trim and condition, it is hard to say. Seems high for the mileage regardless.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With the 7.3, I would NOT be concerned about mileage on the unit your looking at...
More importantly, what is the condition of the body and the unit overall,,,,""RUST"" dents, paint, interior... etc...
With proper maintenance these units will go 3,4,5, or even 600,000 miles easily..
YAH!!! Your going to have to put money in them for maintenance for sure...
Face it...These diesel trucks are expensive to buy, and just as expensive or more to maintain...
Stay away from the 6.0's at any cost...
The weak link in the 7.3 is the transmission...
I've got 275,000 on mine and on the 3rd transmission...
""IF": you don't do any HEAVY towing, you'll probably be OK...
I did a lot of heavy towing, with my 32', #10,000 TT...
I was running over #19.000 gross weighs....
My 7.3 is 18 years old, and I don't see any reason it won't run another 10 yrs easily..
To me, the most important thing, is the oil changes....3500-5000/ mi intervals..[$130/ time]
"IF"" you can verify that, then you'll know the unit has been properly maintained .
And the owner took pride in his truck..
Don't quibble about a couple thousand when purchasing your unit...
If it looks good, and is properly maintained then go for it...
Join the Excursion Brotherhood...
Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I still have both my EX's. Both getting a little rusty. I plan to find a 100% rust free donor in the next few years, and doing a Restomod. Only driving in nice weather so we can drive it for another 30 years. Unless I find a perfect Excursion to buy, I'll buy a clean one and build a perfect one.

I'm researching frame dipping, and other metal preservation systems so I don't have to do this build more than once. Lol

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I think it's time to turn off the headlights...
>> I'm selling my Y2K-X after 18+ yrs...<<<
It's a great truck that's got the 7.3, 4WD, with Zero rust, and 280K/Mi.
Loved the truck, BUT, with Diesel now at $3.25 here in Florida, I just can't see keeping 2 vehicles
in the garage.... Around town, city driving, I get 15mpg, @ $3.25/gal, and thats approx. 22 cent/mi. just
for diesel; oil changes every 5000/mi @ $125, and Insurance @ $1000/ yr. it all adds up...
To about 35 cents a mile just to drive the truck...
And that doesn't include any labor or any parts replacements...
I mean, with Diesel now 50/cents a gallon more than gas, i think its ridiculous...
My wife's Prius gets 45mpg which means it cost approx. 6 cents a mile for gas...and repairs are almost none existant ...
It's time to say good night FOLKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AutoTrader listing price was $15,900...and it sold in a matter of days...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Wow, sorry you sold but makes sense to you, I will keep the lights on with my 05, 6.0, diesel here is over 4 bucks a gallon right now, but with my last 2 kids driving now i will keep them in the Excursion, its good practice for them learning to drive a large SUV, and i think the size offers us protection.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don’t know where you live but here in Florida the price difference between gas and diesel is now more than $1.00 a gallon
With diesel now at $3.25 and gas at $2.19 a gallon
Makes me Kinda glad I sold the Ex.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here in California, difference for gas V diesel is around 15 cents a gallon, but diesel still at 3.75 a gallon, My Excursion can hold 9 passengers we did a 4000 mile trip with 9 passengers and averaged 19 MPG so the cost really inst that bad when using as designed , day to day stoplight traffic with one occupant is OK for me as my Kids are worth the extra insurance the EX provides.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Diesel is about $.70 a gallon more here. We have the Ex and my 5.9 Cummins so I don't ever see us not having a diesel vehicle. The safety and comfort of the Ex will keep us owning it for a long time!! Just recently replaced all the brakes all the way around to include the parking brakes, stainless braided brake lines and the backing plates. The Power Stop brakes are so nice!! Truck stops way better then ever!! Still have some bushings to replace on the suspension but will get those done as I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Make NO mistake..
I LOVED my 7.3 Excursion...BUT !!! The truck was 18 yrs old with 280k/mi, and maintenance was catching up with me...
In No. Carolina, I had a Mechanic who worked on my truck for $75/hr...and I would supply the parts
from Tousley AutoNation, at a 30% discount price...Many times, I told him, that without him, I probably couldn't own the truck...
Then we moved to Florida...Where there WASN'T a Diesel mechanic near me for 25 miles...And he wanted $105/hr labor, and wouldn't let me supply any parts...That's a 30% increase across the board for labor and parts...
I just don't understand the pricing of diesel fuel right now...
I mean crude oil has dropped from $70/brl to $50/brl, and diesel has moved in price at all...
Gasoline prices have dropped considerably....BUT NOT diesel....
Bottom line, is that I'm in my 80's now and no longer need a GREAT truck like that, so
it grieved me to sell it...BUT, economics ruled the day...
If I could have kept it 12 more years, I could have gotten a 'Antique" license plate for it here in Florida...
Can you imagine some 95 year old guy driving around in an Excrusion tank like that...
Years ago, i imagined myself being buried in it...I told my wife to find a plot somewhere, and get a bulldozer to dig a trench big enough to hold the Excursion, and put me in the Ex. and drive me down in the trench...
And cover it back up....
I owned the truck nearly 1/3 of my ""ADULT" life ...So..I've still got a lot of memories from it...
Anyway, I was just rambling about nothing important...
So, I wonder if the moderators will delete it...
To anybody who still owns their Excursion, just enjoy t while you've got it, because there never will be another vehicle like that manufacturered again...

·
Registered
67 Posts
but with my last 2 kids driving now i will keep them in the Excursion, its good practice for them learning to drive a large SUV
As an aside, when my son became of driving age, I let him drive my 83 F-250 that had a 460 in it. Terrible gas mileage, so I never had to worry about him going too far. Plus, he learned early about how much of his after school job pay had to go for gas. And this was 25 years ago! :smiley18:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
One of my recent complaints about owning my Ex. was the price of Diesel...
Prices running .80 to $1.00 more per gallon than gasoline...
18 years ago, when I purchased the Ex. the price of Diesel was less than gas, now it more expensive...
Well, I just read an article entitled....""Peak Diesel"
Seems the particular type of crude oil that is most productive to make diesel is in short supply...
Read here;
https://srsroccoreport.com/has-peak-diesel-arrived-the-data-doesnt-look-good/

21 - 32 of 32 Posts