The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be acquiring a small bumper pull camper this winter. It will be a single axle trailer with brakes. My question is, will our trucks still control the brakes on that second trailer?

The situation is I have a 14k car hauler that I had built with a 2" receiver at the rear so we could triple pull with a small pop-up we had. The pop-up is gone, but one reason we are getting a small camper is so we can still pull triples on rare occasion. The pop-up only needed lights, so I didn't have my car hauler wired for brakes.

If my truck will control the brakes, how best to go about adding the 7-pin configuration to the rear of my car hauler? It is as simple as tapping into the existing brake wiring and putting a new 7-pin connector at the back? Where should I tap into? Should I make it a completely new connection or should I replace the 4-pin and use an adapter if I ever needed the 4-pin down the road someday?

I am aware of the laws regarding pulling triples for length and configuration, but lets set that aside for now.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
It will but not properly.

When you set your controller up for the first trailer it quite likely will not be set up proper for the second trailer. Even if set up properly you may be dragging on trailer while the other ones brakes are not even close to working.

If I was to even think of trying to attempt this I would connect the brakes into the second trailer and forget about the middle one.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid there would be some bias to one trailer or the other. I wonder if there is some sort of adjustable device that you could put in between the trailers to give the second less juice.

That being said, 1st trailer will likely be 7500+lbs and second will be 4000, so it won't slow the train down.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
For something like this I would go over to RV.net and see if anyone there might have a suggestion. I am sure that some there haul triples and did something with the brakes

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
It's amazing, they make something for just about anything. But that's a lot of money to spend for something that might or might not work.

The more that I think about it I you might hook everything up, connecting the second trailer to the first trailers brake wire and go for a short drive in a a large parking lot with no other vehicles around to see what happens. You could even have someone watching to see what happens.

For wiring, I would set both trailers up with a 7 pin plug. Then buy or make a adapter if you need to

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. I would call the manf. before I bought it to see. And I don't plan on pulling both trailers for nearly two years when we move, but I wanted to begin planning and testing now so there were no surprises.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
The big problem is that you will notice a difference in braking when the trailer is loaded. The only trailer that I have with brakes is easy to lock up the tires when it is empty but works great when it has a load on it. That extra weight on the trailer helps keeping the tires in contact with the pavement which keeps them from locking up as quick as it does when it is empty.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, there will be some trial and error for sure.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Brake controllers are inertia activated. There's no reason you couldn't wire a 2nd brake controller in your lead trailer. It would need a constant supply of 12 volt power and a signal from the brake lights on that trailer. You'd just adjust it the same as you do the one in your truck and it would control the pup trailer brakes exclusively.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds promising! So when the controller gets the signal, the power supplied to the brakes is based on inertia? So it seems as if I replaced my 4-pin with 7-pin and then added that bluetooth controller, it'd work. I would just have to play with the settings to get the balance right. And with it being bluetooth, I could adjust it on the fly.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I talked to Curt. The device they have is accelerometer activated and their concern is that with the 1st trailer bouncing all around, it may lock up the brakes on the second trailer on a rough road. That and it would be quite some distance from the truck where the bluetooth signal may be lost.

Their suggestion would be to add a second 7-pin at the truck bumper and then run a long ext under the first trailer to service the 2nd trailer. This would allow it to work better, but the challenge then becomes how do I wire in a second 7-pin into the truck??

·
Super Moderator
25,646 Posts
Their suggestion would be to add a second 7-pin at the truck bumper and then run a long ext under the first trailer to service the 2nd trailer. This would allow it to work better, but the challenge then becomes how do I wire in a second 7-pin into the truck??
I think you'd only have to run the rear trailer's brake controller wire past the truck's 7-pin, and connect it to the 7-pin of the first trailer. You could use any type of connector for that at the rear of the truck. So a wire independently from your #2 trailer brake controller all the way to the 1st trailer's 7-pin. That way the second trailer could become the first trailer and use the #1 brake controller without changing anything else.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you'd only have to run the rear trailer's brake controller wire past the truck's 7-pin, and connect it to the 7-pin of the first trailer. You could use any type of connector for that at the rear of the truck. So a wire independently from your #2 trailer brake controller all the way to the 1st trailer's 7-pin. That way the second trailer could become the first trailer and use the #1 brake controller without changing anything else.
I'm not sure I follow you.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called my local ford dealer. They saw that if you add a 5th wheel wiring harness that both plugs will still work simultaneously without any issues with the truck.

So if I add that and then add the curt echo onto the second connector, then run a long 7-strand wire down the length of the first trailer with a female plug at the back end, I should be able to control the brakes to the second trailer independently with the Echo.

Would love for another tech to confirm the truck won't throw a fit on this.

·
Super Moderator
25,646 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you.
You don't need to run all 7 wires down the length of the first trailer, just the brake actuation wire. This assumes that you have two brake controllers up in the cab, one for the first trailer and the second for the back trailer. The wire from the second controller would have to go from the cab, to a connector at the rear bumper, then a wire to the 7-pin on the rear of the trailer. You'd have to adjust both brake controllers to get the proper braking on each trailer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't need to run all 7 wires down the length of the first trailer, just the brake actuation wire. This assumes that you have two brake controllers up in the cab, one for the first trailer and the second for the back trailer. The wire from the second controller would have to go from the cab, to a connector at the rear bumper, then a wire to the 7-pin on the rear of the trailer. You'd have to adjust both brake controllers to get the proper braking on each trailer.
I think I understand. Not all 7 wires need to go back to the 2nd trailer. But I think it'd be most simple to add the second (5th wheel) plug and then control that with the bluetooth controller. Then the second trailer should have all lighting and braking capability.

Anyone recall how many axles these trucks are capable of controlling? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My suggestion doesn't involve the brakes but you may need to school yourself on details about the law for this. State law varies between States on the total length of your operation and some require a CDL for said operation or an endorsement for "recreational doubles" as some call it. Your operation is over the threshold of 10,000lbs. .

Try this link if it works 6a00d83451b3c669e20105371bc090970b-pi

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am aware of the laws regarding pulling triples for length and configuration, but lets set that aside for now.
Thanks. I am ok in my current state, and have no plans to pull this setup in the near future, but being in the .mil the time will come.

The link only took me to a picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts