The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for different ways to mount a winch on my 95 250.... Anyone have any pics?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't have any better pictures at the moment, but you can kind of get the idea with this one. I have a Warn 16.5ti mounted on a Warn hidden mount that attaches to the front of the frame rails. It kicks the bumper forward by about 4 inches and there is a plastic trim kit that goes between the bumper and grill and also at the bumper ends by the fenders. I don't know if the same type of mount is available for a '95. I just liked the hidden look and the fact that I didn't have to go buy a whole new bumper. The only downside so far is that it got in the way of the foglights, so I had to remove them.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Behind a bumper is the best way. This is what I came up with, and it barely sticks out farther than the stock bumper would.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
ARB front mount Bar with 15,000 lbs winch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,604 Posts
I have always figured that we mount the winches on the wrong end of the truck. When we get stuck it is usually as we are going forward and need to be pulled backwards. So shouldn't the logical place to mount a winch the rear end of the truck? That is unless you are always playing around in the back country with a friend that can pull you backwards out of your predicament.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What if you aren't playing - what if you actually need to get to where you're going?

If you're just playing, put your winch on a draw bar mount, and put a receiver at each end of the truck.

But if it's mounted to the front, and you need to go back, pull the cable under the truck. My bumper is built so I can pull around the ends of the bumper.

·
Registered
895 Posts
What if you aren't playing - what if you actually need to get to where you're going?

If you're just playing, put your winch on a draw bar mount, and put a receiver at each end of the truck.

But if it's mounted to the front, and you need to go back, pull the cable under the truck.

And just get more stuck? In deeper muck? With solid ground further behind? And still not get to where you are going?

Pulling the cable under the truck can rub axles, oil pans, fuel tanks, brake lines, heat exchangers, and cross members the wrong way, doing more undercarriage harm than good.

·
Registered
895 Posts
looking for different ways to mount a winch on my 95 250.... Anyone have any pics?

I have the same Warn Semi Hidden kit that Greg03PSD has, but am not posting pics of that kit because it won't help you for your 1995.

However, there is indeed a very nice looking period correct Warn replacement bumper with hidden winch incorporated inside that was made for the 1980-1997 Ford truck body style. It was designed during the "bricknose" front fascia iteration of that 17 model year run, around 1986. So it looks better than OEM factory for the 1987 through 1992 model year era, but as the pics I'm posting below will show, it looks pretty darn good on the 93-97 front clip design iteration as well.

It's called the Warn Enforcer, and it includes two holes to mount some big ol fog or driving lights. It also has nice replaceable, flexible, end cap rub corners. The thing I like best about the Warn Enforcer visually for your 1995 body style is that it is period correct. It looks right and befitting, as opposed to the new fangled tri-angular Road Armor style gargantuan bumper replacements that look like set pieces to a Star Wars movie.

Enough talk...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
And just get more stuck?
Only if you don't know how to use a winch or drive a truck off-road. Go to p.155 of this PDF (Ch.22).
In deeper muck?
If you've already gone through the deeper stuff, why would you need the winch?
With solid ground further behind?
What are you talking about? If you're winching backward, you're winching back to the solid ground.
And still not get to where you are going?
Only if you give up and go home.
Pulling the cable under the truck can rub axles, oil pans, fuel tanks, brake lines, heat exchangers, and cross members the wrong way, doing more undercarriage harm than good.
If you can't route a winch cable any better than that, then you shouldn't have a winch. And if your truck is so delicate that it can be destroyed by a winch cable, what will happen if you drive over a log or rock?

It's called the Warn Enforcer, and...
...it hasn't been made in more than a decade, so you can't buy one new. It's not on the Warn site (including the replacement parts page), or Amazon, or eBay... And you're not likely to find one used in good condition. So like you said:
...it won't help you for your 1995.
Again: build it. That's the only way to get exactly what you want, and it's much cheaper than buying & modifying. Nothing you can buy would stand up to this:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts