The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2011 F-250 Lariat w/ about 63k on the clock that has a wind noise issue. If you are really bored, you can hear it here to get a better idea of what I am dealing with:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdpsrrsj627l7lx/20150804_160527.mp4?dl=0

It is far above and beyond normal road noise. It has been to the dealership multiple times for this very issue. I finally got tired of them telling me they couldn't reproduce it, so there was nothing they could do about it.

So, I made a recording of it with my phone. When I took it in on Tuesday, I had to press the issue to get the service writer to look at it on my phone. They called me back yesterday and said they tried again, and couldn't reproduce it. I asked them why the video wasn't sufficient and I was told "I can't crawl inside your video and determine the issue". If you are REALLY bored, listen to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgbllfkkxikprnj/[Unknown]_[+16184525400]_2015-08-05_15-59-26.amr?dl=0

As you will hear, he finally agreed to have the body shop take a look at it.

Today, the body shop manager (who, for the record, has been very helpful and cooperative) tells me that they were finally able to reproduce it. He went on to tell me he spoke with corporate and they told him to do the same test on another "similar" truck using his air hose method he found. That truck did it as well.

He goes on to tell me that he predicts that corporate will tell him that there is nothing that can be done for this, and that despite the fact that I have a 7 year, 125k ESP I am basically left twisting in the wind (pun intended).

He does tell me there are some "tricks" he can do, like using urethane to seal it, fuse the outer molding to the inner seal, etc.

Yet again I am left dumbfounded by how Ford treats their customers. This is troubling on so many levels, including:

1. That they seem perfectly ok with telling a customer that the issue I have is something that I am just supposed to live with.

2. That any repairs the dealership's own body shop can do to try to band-aid this will occur at my own expense, despite my purchase of an ESP at over $2500 just to avoid headaches like this.

3. The argumentative nature of the service department with a customer who was nothing but polite and merely looking to resolve a perfectly legitimate issue.

Due to previous issues with Ford on this truck, and literally fighting them every step of the way to get reasonable repairs covered (see my post about my power mirror failure) I am now officially done. I won't be buying another. It is really that simple. They have proven they simply do not care about their customers after the sale.

I hope this tale of my woe serves as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers. Don't make the same mistake I did. They will not stand behind the ESP. If they do, it will only occur after you threaten them (my last complaint went to the State Attorney General's office before they budged).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone is interested, I had to pay $112.xx to get the truck. Labor from the body shop to perform band-aid fixes to a "characteristic" behavior of the truck.

If an alarming squeal at highway speeds is characteristic of Ford design and manufacturing, then that speaks volumes.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Where did they use the air hose to duplicate the noise? I too have a 2011 and have had the noise since it was new. Dealership could not duplicate the noise. Mine seems to come from windshield area and only in high wind conditions or strong cross winds from trucks.

Thanks

cwtex04

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did they use the air hose to duplicate the noise? I too have a 2011 and have had the noise since it was new. Dealership could not duplicate the noise. Mine seems to come from windshield area and only in high wind conditions or strong cross winds from trucks.

Thanks

cwtex04
I don't know exactly what they did. I was still seeing red at that point, so I sent my son with the credit card to pay for what is obviously a design flaw/manufacturing defect. If that is a "characteristic" of the F-250, then Ford needs to get some new aerodynamic engineers.

I noticed on the inside of the truck, on the windshield, running the length of the pillars, there is some sort of thin black "tape". It is very unobtrusive, they did a good job of installing whatever it is, and you wouldn't even know it is there unless you look close and see that it covers up the "dot pattern" that runs the edges of the glass all the way around the perimeter of the glass.

Did you listen to the video I posted? Is that the same noise yours makes?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also own a 2011- with the same issue. Prior to going to the dealer, I installed the surgical hose in all gaskets...no help....

I went to the dealer 3 or 4 times. The dealer could not replicate the issue. The dealership sent me to a local body shop, they said it was road noise.

I gave up...I vowed never again....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Isn't this an old problem caused by improper sealing of the window at the factory? May have to have a rock strike the windshield and then get some much smarter glass place to install and properly seal it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was unable to open the two Dropbox files. If it sounds like a kazoo type sound , that is what my noise sounds like. A few more rock chips and I may try a new windshield.

Thanks

cwtex04

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was unable to open the two Dropbox files. If it sounds like a kazoo type sound , that is what my noise sounds like. A few more rock chips and I may try a new windshield.

Thanks

cwtex04
Kazoo is a good analogy. That is what it sounds like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts