The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the wiring diagram/instructions for putting 2008 mirrors on a '99 Superduty. I tried searching, but it won't take "08" as a search term and the other instructions are for pre 08 mirrors and 2008 isn't turning anything up.

I thought that I read that the new mirrors had the wires backwards for one control direction. Is that true and if so, what direction was it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wired them up according to a wiring diagram I found on this site. My truck wire colors were a little different. The right side mirror works, but in and out are reversed. The left side doesn't work at all. I'll troubleshoot them tomorrow and share the correct wiring for others.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wish I went with the 08's but I baught 05's. The new ones are heated and everything.. But the 08's have bigger mirrors.. You might try emailing puredieselpower they sell a conversion to 08's!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 08 mirrors are awesome. I'm totally stoked about them. Here are some points in case someone is sitting on the fence about them.

Problems with my old mirrors:
- non telescoping, even though they were the tow mirrors. The early ones didn't telescope. Too wide for parking and too narrow when towing. Having said that, they were still the best pickup truck mirrors on the market when I bough the truck.
- bottom wide angle mirror didn't adjust and it was way too small.
- mirror surfaces hit the window if you fold them in. Must readjust every time you put them out.
- the spring was weak in my passenger side mirror. In a strong head wind, it folded in.
- not heated
- no turn signal
- limited range of adjustment
- rusting mirror arms

My 08 mirrors:
- slightly smaller top portion, or at least a different shape. Or maybe the bottom wide angle view just overshadows it. It seems smaller than my old mirrors. Still a good view though.
- HUGE wide angle mirror. I cannot believe how much more you can see behind the truck with the wide angle view. No more squinting into a tiny bottom mirror trying to figure out if there is a car beside you or your trailer that you can't see.
- the spring on the arms seems much stronger. No more folding in with a strong headwind.
- the surface doesn't touch the window if they are folded in. Shouldn't have to readjust when you fold them out.
- HEATED mirror surfaces !
- plastic covered mirror arms. No more flaking/rusting mirror arms ! I don't care how much you coat those arms, they are susceptible to paint issues. Plastic arm covers cure that problem.
- way wider adjustment range.
- they telescope. Wider for towing wide loads and narrow so that I can leave them out when parking.

When I first got my truck, I almost took out a Mustang at a freeway exit because I didn't figure out it was beside my trailer instead of behind it. It is way less likely that will happen with the 08 mirrors because they have such a better view. I think they will be really good for parking too.

The person who designed these mirrors should get a raise. Well done.

I haven't found a post that discusses it yet, but the in/out motor direction on the 08 mirrors is reversed. It appears that one must reverse the wiring on the motor in the mirror to make it work with the switch on my truck. Apparently there are posts somewhere on the net that deal with this, but I haven't been able to find them yet.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got them wired up. The motors on the 08 mirrors are indeed reversed. The wiring at the motor or at the switch will have to be changed to correct this. Its probably easier to do at the switch because it should just involve pulling the pins out of the switch connector and re inserting them into a different hole.

The 08 non memory mirrors have 7 wires each.

3 wires for moving the motors:

up/down
left/right
motor common <- This one is yellow.

4 wire for the lights and heater:
clearance light <- Brown
signal light
Heater <- Black with white stripe
Ground <- Black

I'll fill in the missing colors when I get back after the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
25,419 Posts
I haven't found a post that discusses it yet, but the in/out motor direction on the 08 mirrors is reversed. It appears that one must reverse the wiring on the motor in the mirror to make it work with the switch on my truck. Apparently there are posts somewhere on the net that deal with this, but I haven't been able to find them yet.
You should be able to fix that at the plug. The terminals will pull out of the connector body using a scribe or very small screwdriver to unlatch after pulling the lock section (usually red plastic) from the front (mating end) of the connector. No need to get at the mirror motors.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I been wanting to do this upgrade! Can someone post pics?
There isn't really anything to take pictures of. Opening up the doors and unbolting and bolting in the new mirrors is just like on all the previous models. After that, just wire them up.

I'll update this thread if I ever fix the direction issue. Right now it is a non issue.. if the mirror is moving the wrong way, just reverse the switch with your finger. I'd still like to change it though.

I drove 1000 miles pulling a trailer for 600 of them with the 08 mirrors. They are absolutely great. Yesterday I had to back up the trailer a couple blocks down a road with vehicles on one side. I did it all by myself thanks to the excellent rear visibility.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Bringing up an old post. MackE7, what kind of wiring connectors are on the 08 mirrors? Was the connectors on your truck the same, or did you need to get some connectors to mate it all together?

oh, and any luck with the reverse wiring issue? Am I correct that there is a "left" and "right" wire that goes to the mirror? So if you simply swapped those it would go in the correct directions per the switch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts