The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 04 6.0 deisel had something go on with wiring harness replaced it then mechanic says the no.5 cylinder is down not firing didnt have that problem b4 it stopped running would run 15 seconds no miss an die replaced harness now misses line crazy what can I do not sure what ot is

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
If I had to guess you are talking about the guel injection harness on this engine which were problematic in the early years of production. If this is the harness you replaced I can only suggest that your new symptoms likely point to an injector or two where the harness is not properly connected to an injector. Look for improperly oriented connectors that would cause them not to seat as they are indexed and can only be installed one-way... inless they are cracked and broken. I have also had issues over the years where pieces of the harness connector were broken off and remained in the injector side of the connection which prevents the harness connector from seating. And I have also experienced tightness or resistance in the connection cause by deformities and dirt. While you are checking and reseating all of the connections get a close look ate the terminals inside the injector side of the connection for damaged or bent pins. Lastly recheck the harness where it connects to the FICM as those can sometimes be difficult to insert as well, again inspecting for bent pins there too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that it is possible to lay the FICM harness in so that bank #1 is completely backwards. That will result in an engine which runs on 4 cylinders. It will be a massive smoke generator once it warms up but it will run. I'm not proud to know and share that information but it absolutely is possible and the harness will fit remarkably well in that perverse configuration.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that it is possible to lay the FICM harness in so that bank #1 is completely backwards. That will result in an engine which runs on 4 cylinders. It will be a massive smoke generator once it warms up but it will run. I'm not proud to know and share that information but it absolutely is possible and the harness will fit remarkably well in that perverse configuration.
Don't be embarrassed - Sheeeeyit happens. Posting your experience and findings is invaluable!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts