The Diesel Stop banner
201 - 202 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
After wanting one for about 20 years, I am finally getting a 12 valve Cummins-1995 with about 175K on it. Right now I am just stockpiling all my WATF while Diesel is comparatively cheap. I know it is not going to stay down forever. Question is--how do those engines like WMO? To be specific, when I was running it ,it was mostly WATF with about 20% rug, then that about 50/50 with D2. At that rate, for one thing, my supply and usage were about equal. Anything I should know about the Cummins? Thanks I was going to put a tranny in the 6.2, and add a turbo, but for now am not going to do anything with it for a while-- after I retire and move, may have time and desire to mess with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I modified my fuel system to include a plate exchanger, dual pumps and spin on filtration, also changed the fuel recirculation point to downstream of my heads. I do have a few other modifications to allow the truck to start in temps approaching 0F (third battery, small aux tank filled with diesel). My WMO was dry, heated and centrifuged. I ran my 99 7.3 PSD truck for about 4000 miles on non-diluted (100%) WMO. The cylinders did carbon, compression did increase to the point where the rings failed, ultimately loosing compression in two cylinders and smoking like a freight train - even when running diesel.

My current outlook is that a little stinky smoke can be very expensive. Even if you can find a way to get your truck to start and run on WMO, I would caution that you watch your tailpipe. If it smokes, do something different, perhaps dilute with RUG. I will probably need to let my wallet heal a bit before I re-start this experiment.

201 - 202 of 202 Posts