The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is for the 99-03 superduty wobbly console issue.....ok.....so i had the wobbly centerconsole and no matter how hard i looked i couldnt find how to disassemble the console to repair this.so i went slow and i have the answer,im willing to share.not a difficult repair,but ford doesnt offer any parts seperate.so if you break it your s.o.l.

first youll need a t55 and a 17 mm (i believe) to pull your seats and center console.once out youll need a phillips screwdriver to remover plastic cover on left(two screws).the right cover is held on by a pastic clip,gently pull it will release.then three 13mm on left as well as a torx bit(i dont remember what size)two 13mm on right side.the brackets that hold the top will come off.once you have the top removed,youll need a small flathead to seperate.there are no screws hidden,this is where it gets kinda tricky and if your going to damage anything itll happen now.where the fabric and leather roll into the console(under the lid and cupholder pad)insert a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry,theres a retaining ring,this pinches the fabric in and holds the console together.you need to release just about all fabric to to pull the cover down.DO NOT PRY UP ON THE CUP HOLDER PAD,IT WILL BREAK AND WILL NOT COME UP WITHOUT BREAKING.once you carefully pop this ring up(not nec to remove)you can pull the fabric/leather out and expose the underside of the console.youll find a screw in the bottom of the foam,simply replace and tighten the screw.this will fix the wobble.you can then release the tabs that hold the cupholder pad,to make reassembly easier.then slowly reverse the disassembly,using the flathead carefully reinsert fabric into slot and reinsert trim ring.pull fabric tight snap ring down go slow and youll be all done.after all fabric and trim ring is reinstalled you can carefully reinstall cupholder pad it should just snap back down.took me less than an hour,all though my cup holder pad paid the price..........

hopefully this will help someone.GOOD LUCK......and repair at your own risk parts are not avail and the console is not cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On a related note... let's say you happen to demolish that cup holder pad. Is it possible to order up a new one from Ford? Anyone have the P/N for it?

My console wasn't loose or squeaky, but my pad separated from the white plastic frame it was glued to and I'd like to replace it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope,ford only offers the console as a unit

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
This is for the center console, that is a large box? What about disassembly of a loose arm rest on the center seat? I will keep looking, but not sure what to look for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Charlie,
Thanks for the great tips. I had not figured out how to get the material off the seat! I will add however, that instead of removing the seats you only need to push the drivers seat all the way forward and tilt it forward to get access to the left torx 40 bolt. The passenger 13mm head bolts can be removed by pushing the passenger seat back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts