The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 F-350 6.0 lifted and chipped it will not shift out of park while engine is running but if you turn key to ON without turning engine over it shifts just fine any ideas?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sounds as if it doesn't know your foot is on the brake. Maybe a switch?

·
Super Moderator
11,638 Posts
It's either the brake light switch or the solenoid that keeps the shifter from moving out of park.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Check the connector just above the brake paddle. The transmission has an interlock that will not allow you to shift out of drive unless your putting pressure on the brake paddle. If that connector is lose or open the interlock will not function and your stuck in PARK.

I had this happen to me while at an ATM machine. A lot of people behind be got really pissed when I couldn't move my truck out of the way. Their is also a procedure in the owner's manual to bypass the interlock, but you have to really hunt for it in the manual.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It's either the brake light switch or the solenoid that keeps the shifter from moving out of park.

Mark, good to have you back. Your departure was noticed a few years back when rumor had it a certain unnamed truck manufacturer didn't like your after work online activities. Looking at your thread history you've been back for a while, but this is the first post I've seen of your for a long time.

It's good to have you knowledge and insight back on the forum, Mr. "Former :ford: Automatic Transmission Engineer". :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Brake light switch....just replaced mine again and the price has dropped to around $20...Your Cruise will be affected as well . In a pinch you can press very hard on the brake pedal and it will overide the switch to get into gear. BTW if you get into 4 low on the ESF system it will be stuck there and you will say some ugly things!

·
Super Moderator
11,638 Posts
Mark, good to have you back. Your departure was noticed a few years back when rumor had it a certain unnamed truck manufacturer didn't like your after work online activities.
It wasn't really Ford's fault.

After the Explorer/Firestone debacle Congress passed a law called the TREAD act. I forget what TREAD stands for, but what it did is make a law that if ANY employee of a company is told about a safety defect in thier product a formal report has to be made to a government agency. The lawyers at Ford decided that if anyone said on a forum that something was a safety defect and a Ford employee was known to be on that forum a report had to be made to the government. I believe that the lawyers were right.

Ford told all employees not be be known on the boards as employees. That meant I had to stop posting under my name. I complied with their request because I believe they were in the right.

I left Ford in February, 2007, and changed back to my own name a bit later.

·
Super Moderator
11,638 Posts
In a pinch you can press very hard on the brake pedal and it will overide the switch to get into gear.
No it won't. There is no override by pushing the brake pedal further. What happend on your truck is that the brake light switch was working when you pressed the pedal further.

The work around is to only turn the key to the first detent, which is not far enough to turn on anything electrical. Now move the shifter to N. Start the truck in N and you're good until the next time you put it in park.

Now back to the original poster....Do your brake lights work? If not the truck won't come out of park. If thery do work it's probably the solenoid that's bad. It's in the steering column.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah the brake lights work fine as far as ive seen is the solenoid something id be able to do myself or am i better off paying ford to do it

·
Registered
19 Posts
hate to state the obvious, but have you checked for a fuse, we have a 95 F-350 that did this with a horse trailer on in the middle of the road, kind of embarrassing, took about 20 minutes to think about a fuse and thankfully that was the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah checked the fuses but found out something else if i have it in drive while running and keep on the brake when i shift it will shift freely but if i put into park and let off the brake fully it freezes up again

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2003 F-350 6.0 lifted and chipped it will not shift out of park while engine is running but if you turn key to ON without turning engine over it shifts just fine any ideas?
Check the 5 amp fuse in the #15 position inside the vehicle. If it's blown, you can't shift out of park, electric windows don't work, interior lights won't come on and wipers don't work. If that's the case look for the sensor on the master cylinder. It'll probably be soaked in brake fluid. Quick fix is to disconnect the sensor and replace the fuse. Next get it to a Ford dealer and they should fix it for free under the recall for the cruise control. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm having the same issue on my 2004. Started off intermittently, once every five or six months, now all of a sudden it's every time I try to shift out of Park. I have to do what Mark suggested, starting truck in (N)eutral and then taking off. It's getting old.

I want to tackle this this week...does anybody have a part number for the solenoid that I need to replace, and where in the steering column it's located?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,638 Posts
It probably isn't the solenoid. Do your brake lights work? Most often the problem is the brake light switch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply -I've been out of state for work so just now getting back to this.

Yes, brake lights work. I had the wife stand behind the truck while my foot was on the brake and trying to shift out of Park. She said lights were working fine but I still couldn't move the shifter out of Park.

Strange thing is, if I futz with it for 2-3 minutes, I can generally get it to go. I'll hear a click in the column and it'll go right into Drive. But only once. After that I have to start the process all over again.

In the meantime I did purchase a solenoid but haven't attempted the swap it out yet. Is that a tough swap?

Any other tips?

Much appreciated...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It probably isn't the solenoid. Do your brake lights work? Most often the problem is the brake light switch.
I just replace the solenoid body in my 07 f250 yesterday and after we got everything buttoned up and fluids back in my truck wouldn't shift out of park I am currently doing what you said I touched a brake switch loose but I tried to attract by turning the key over and then put it in neutral but it
Won't move it all

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I just replace the solenoid body in my 07 f250 yesterday and after we got everything buttoned up and fluids back in my truck wouldn't shift out of park I am currently doing what you said I touched a brake switch loose but I tried to attract by turning the key over and then put it in neutral but it
Won't move it all
You might want to re-word the post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts