The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Mark, my husband has a Ford F350 2015, yesterday it was running rough and wouldn’t accelerate Over 50 mph, unless he shut it off, the. It would work a few minutes and the problem returned......This morning it was dead and brake lights would not go off. He found and replaced a sensor... now it starts, but won’t shift out of park.... what should he do, and could the acceleration issue be related or just a bad coincidence.

He is pretty handy, born in 61, but he isn’t savvy with electronics issue. I, the wife thought it was an electronics issue from the start....
So, as an update, the brake lights were not coming on with the new switch. I told him to put the old switch in, since he was able to get the truck jumped and moving. The brake light came on with the old switch, and stay on, which is what caused the original draw on the battery. I told him to take the POS switch back to where he got it from, because it obviously is not working.

.... back to the drawing board, he stopped freaking out, and I will go back to bingewatching!

· Super Moderator
9,142 Posts
If the brake lights don't work it will not come out of park. Your owner's manual has a procedure to get it out of park if your brake lights do not work.

· Registered
1 Posts
No it won't. There is no override by pushing the brake pedal further. What happend on your truck is that the brake light switch was working when you pressed the pedal further.

The work around is to only turn the key to the first detent, which is not far enough to turn on anything electrical. Now move the shifter to N. Start the truck in N and you're good until the next time you put it in park.

Now back to the original poster....Do your brake lights work? If not the truck won't come out of park. If thery do work it's probably the solenoid that's bad. It's in the steering column.
Thank you very much, this worked for me, got me out of park and to a safe location. the fix for me was the #11 15 amp Brake pressure switch fuse.

· Registered
1 Posts
No it won't. There is no override by pushing the brake pedal further. What happend on your truck is that the brake light switch was working when you pressed the pedal further.

The work around is to only turn the key to the first detent, which is not far enough to turn on anything electrical. Now move the shifter to N. Start the truck in N and you're good until the next time you put it in park.

Now back to the original poster....Do your brake lights work? If not the truck won't come out of park. If thery do work it's probably the solenoid that's bad. It's in the steering column.
Mark, first of all, thanks very much for the above "work around" suggestion. My 2001 Ford Explorer was in the way in my driveway and your trick worked to get it out of the way.

Two days ago, I ran a couple of errands and then parked in the driveway. I left the drivers window down half way. Later, I went out to close the window and discovered that none of the windows worked, the dome light didn't come on when I opened the door (it still comes on with the dash switch), the windshield wipers don't work, and worst of all, the shifter won't come out of park. I did some internet searches and found this to be a fairly common problem. One poster had the exact same problem. He said that he unplugged a wire connector from a switch (probably a sensor) on the front of the brake booster, and found oil in the connector. He replaced the sensor which fixed all of the problems. He said the sensor is connected to the cruise control. He said no more blown 5A fuse. I checked my fuses inside and in the power distribution box under the hood and I don't have any 5A fuses. I would also note that my cruise control quit working about 2-3 months ago. I had the cruise control recall repair done about 19 years ago by a Ford dealer. Not sure, but there may be an in line fuse in the wiring they installed during the recall repair. Can't tell as it's covered with electrical tape. I went to a Ford dealer today and was told that the entire master cylinder assembly is no longer available. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I realize it's been years since you made the above comments. Thanks again for the "work around" and any help you can provide.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts