The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been having in issue with my glow plugs for a while now and havent had the time off work to change them. i was down in Arizona (80 degree weather) and my truck finally stopped starting. I plugged it in and the next morning it fired right up with no problem. i had to do this for a few more days before i could get the time off work to change the glow plugs. well about 3 days before i my day off the truck stopped heating up with the block heater. So the other day i got the time to finally work on it and changed the block heater, oil, glow plugs, valve cover gasket, and glow plug relay. when i went to finally fire it up it just kept turning over. i tried plugging it in and the truck wont heat up at all. i have no idea what to do. any ideas on why it wont start?

·
Administrator
24,976 Posts
Welcome to TheDieselStop :)

You'll have to go back and check all your work. If you didn't plug the big harness connector on top of the valve cover back in, of course it won't start. Don't laugh, stranger things have happened. I've even had one of those flat forehead moments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back and checked all my work. Then hooked up my meter and made sure everything checked out good and was working. I can't figure out why the truck won't heat up even when being plugged in. I know the block heater is good because I replaced it and checked it to make sure it was working

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
mine did this when i changed the glow plugs. for some reason the batteries drained down. charge the batteries up and see if thats it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had blew the fuse months before and changed it out. My "wait to start" light still comes on. I got a new fuel heater and I'm about to put it on and see if that works. Is there any reason my temp gauge still isn't rising even when being plugged in for hours?

·
Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
In my opinion you could leave the block heater plugged in 24/7 and not see the temperature gauge move if at all. You have to look at all the metal mass and coolant it would have to heat up to do it.

A new fuel heater is not going to help your no start problem. With all the cranking that you have done you might want to check the oil level in the high pressure oil pump. Also are you getting any smoke out of the tailpipe while turning the engine over?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no smoke coming tail pipe. so here's a recap on everything I've done.

Today,
ICP
IPR
Fuel filter (front)
Fuel heater
Camshaft position sensor
Water temperature sensor

Past few days
Glow plugs (tested with meter)
Glow plug relay (tested with meter)
Valve cover gasket (tested with meter)
Batteries (tested with meter)
Block heater
And Check all fuses.

The truck cranks but still gets no start. I'm not sure what else to check or change. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
You need to get a scanner on it to see what isn't reporting to the PCM or what parameter isn't coming up to the minimum requirements to fuel the injectors. Do you have a scanner? If not, post your location and someone might be close.

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
No codes, but set your scanner to monitor IC pressure, IPR duty cycle, RPM, and voltage.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Scanner will pick codes and give you a place to start. If you have no smoke it means injectors are not firing. Need to figure out why....HPOP full? IPR working? Fuel pump working? WTS light comes on so PCM is on, What about IDM? Lots of things to check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys I've been away for work. I'm finally here working on it again. I have a scanner but I've inly used it once. It's a Blue point YA3160. Not really sure how to use it other then grabbing codes. Does anyone know? Also the I changed the IPR, the fuel pump is working fine and the "wait to start" light does come on. I'm not sure about the IDM. What is that and where is it? What kind of symptoms what that cause?
Thanks for your help again. This truck really as me stumped.

8,791 Posts
Hi, I'm not familiar with your scanner but it would need to be able to stream live data.
You need to pick those items so you can watch them with cranking. Or
Individually load test those new batteries. See if the positive wire for the ipr has voltage.
Have you checked the fueł system for ice and gel? You don't show where you live, which is fine but outside temps are important.
How many Ohm's are you showing for the glow plugs at the outside of valve covers?
Was it running before the installation of these plugs?
How much voltage drop do you have on the glow plug relay?

·
Administrator
24,976 Posts
I'm not sure about the IDM. What is that and where is it? What kind of symptoms what that cause?
The IDM is the module that generates the high voltage that activates the injector solenoids. If it was bad or not getting power, you'd be able to pick up a code. The IDM is located behind the F-_50 emblem on the driver's side fender. You have to pull the fender liner loose to get at it.

It could cause a no-start issue, but unless you get a code that points you in the direction of the IDM, I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my opinion you could leave the block heater plugged in 24/7 and not see the temperature gauge move if at all. You have to look at all the metal mass and coolant it would have to heat up to do it.

A new fuel heater is not going to help your no start problem. With all the cranking that you have done you might want to check the oil level in the high pressure oil pump. Also are you getting any smoke out of the tailpipe while turning the engine over?
Hello I was checking out your response to the gentleman about the new glow plugs no start issue. I'm also having that issue but I do have smoke coming out of my tail pipe. I did also change my oil right before I replaced my glow plugs. I may have gotten some oil in the glow plug hole but not that much. Could that be the reason. My truck wants to start. It does for a very brief moment. Not sure where to start.

·
Registered
785 Posts
How cold is it there when you're trying to start? Anything over 45 F and my truck doesn't care about the GP's

1 - 20 of 32 Posts