The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
White smoke usually indicates unburnt fuel.

The first thing that I would do is to make sure that the glow plug relay is working and test it to make sure that it is good.

Also check your work and look for anything that you might of disconnected either on purpose or accidentally in the valley.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I read all the posts. I still don't know what year is your truck. Check the wiring going to the engine block heater.
I could be wrong but;

If you are getting white smoke ... you are getting fuel through the HPOP and injectors. Oil pumps are working.
If your oil pressure switch is bad ... it won't start
When the smoke out the exhaust stops ... your LPOP might not be moving oil to the HPOP
If the voltage gets below about 11V ? (from cranking and not starting) the truck will not start.

Last Feb, I came back from Muskegon MI , a 200 mile trip. Truck would not start after sitting two days. It cranked with white smoke ... then no smoke. After much help on this forum, I checked the HPOP / found the resrvoir was empty. Removed the HPOP and cranked the engine. No oil was feeding the HPOP from the LPOP. I pulled the motor. Then I learned a lot about how my engine works.

I also checked / repaired the engine wire harness. Rebuilt the oil cooler flushed the radiator etc. Truck runs cooler now.
I have the Scan Gauge. I monitor EOT, IPR, ICP and Voltage.

My glow plug relay does not operate through my PCM. It could be a PCM problem or the wiring harness from engine to PCM at firewall. So I measured with a vom to determine which terminal of the GPR is supposed to recive a grounded signal from the PCM. I installed a button in the lower left dash near the steering column. I turn the key on, push the button, and count ten sec before releasing it.

Before I installed the button, if it wouldn't start when I cranked within 5 sec, I would key off. Then key on / check the voltage on the scan gauge, and start the truck.

The battery voltage goes down when you crank a lot. Get Forscan, calm down and scan your truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
White smoke usually indicates unburnt fuel.

The first thing that I would do is to make sure that the glow plug relay is working and test it to make sure that it is good.

Also check your work and look for anything that you might of disconnected either on purpose or accidentally in the valley.
Thanks much for the advice. I got a puppy a little sooner then expected so he's been consuming my time and realized you had reached out so thanks again. My question about the relay. I did actually purchase one before I did my plugs but got lazy and didn't change it out. I see a lot of people saying the relays go bad. My relay seemed to be ok before I changed my plugs. Not really sure but are they known to go bad after you put in new plugs and vc harness?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
[QUOTE="Deakin, post: 4726382, My relay seemed to be ok before I changed my plugs. Not really sure but are they known to go bad after you put in new plugs and vc harness?
[/QUOTE]

GP relays do fail, they work hard and often. Glow plugs fail, they also work hard and often. Counterfeit glow plugs are common when bought off Amazon, Ebay or Zorro are known to often be bad right out of their cheap sack.
Where once one could get a trustable bargain from those three. For me, I can't trust them to supply many mechanical components, anything portrayed as OEM electrical in general. Sometimes one can tell actual OEM status from the quality and complexity of packaging. Often, not.

·
Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
Thanks much for the advice. I got a puppy a little sooner then expected so he's been consuming my time and realized you had reached out so thanks again. My question about the relay. I did actually purchase one before I did my plugs but got lazy and didn't change it out. I see a lot of people saying the relays go bad. My relay seemed to be ok before I changed my plugs. Not really sure but are they known to go bad after you put in new plugs and vc harness?
The relay could of been marginal with the old plugs. Then when you put the new plugs in they started drawing more amps causing the relay to fail. They only sure way to know is to test it. There should be less than 0.3 volts difference between the two large post using a digital volt/ohm meter.

Well I did indeed get my glow plugs from ebay as they were in motorcraft packaging but the VC harnesses were definitely aftermarket and ended up purchasing proper.
I wouldn't trust glow plugs that are on Ebay. There have been too many counterfeit ones showing up even in Motorcraft packaging. If you look at the package you may see some words misspelled or other errs on them. Another member got some off of Ebay and a week or so later 6 out of the 8 were bad.

·
Super Moderator
9,038 Posts
You can't use a test light on the relay to determine if it is good or bad. You need to use a digital volt meter. You are looking for less than 0.3 volts difference between the two large post, and there isn't a test light out there that will do that.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oneof6
21 - 32 of 32 Posts