The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1999 F350 from Maryland. Drive it 300 miles back to New York. It ran perfect, but the alternator light which was originally just flickering started staying on steady. I had to end up using my headlights the last hour of the trip and the voltmeter on the truck showed about 12 volts when I got home and the headlights were very dim.

I then proceded to back the truck into a tree. Did not hit it super hard, but a decent jolt. As soon as I hit the tree, the motor shut down. Tried to restar and it spins over pretty fast enough to start it, but it does not start. My first diesel, I looked in the owner's manuel and found the fuel cut off swith info. Located the switch, but it was not tripped. I did not find any fuses in the manuel that were specific to the fuel pump.

My questions:
I'm going to charge the batteries today, but could the low voltage be causing the no start problem?

Is there a fuse, breaker to relay for the fuel pump I should be checking?

How do I test the fuel cut off switch?

Any other ideas?

My first diesel and I really love it. I would really appreciate any help you can offer. THANKS - Andy

·
Registered
918 Posts
theres a fuel pump reset switch on the passengers kick panel down by where their feet would be. it will be on the right side. try that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I checked that switch and it was never tripped. When I turn the key on and feel the fuel pump on the frame rail, I hear it run and stop when it comes up to pressure. So I am assuming I have fuel.

Any other advice?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Is it crank'n but not firing? Is it crank'n unusually fast? Do you get zero starter response when you turn the key to start?

Weak batts are a common problem... you may see 12v on the batt but when you crank and see less than 8.5v(+-) your not meeting min volt thresh hold.

Loose cps?
Maybe jarred a harness connection apart?

God bless
Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New update. I fully charged the batteries, put them back in, engine cranks fine but still does not start. When I spray a little starting fluid down the air intake, it starts and runs on that for a few seconds. I can hear the high pressure fuel pump on the frame rail start and run a few seconds to come up to pressure. I can also feel the pump run when I put my hand on it.

I believe there is a low pressure pump in the fuel tank, how can I test to make sure that pump is working?

I backed up into the tree pretty hard. Any other ideas?? I'm getting ready to tow this thing to a garage.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
How much fuel is in it?
Could have jarred pick-up tube off.
Have you checked the fuel filter? Is it clogged?
Check for blown fuses (best with a meter).

Also... DO NOT SPRAY THAT STUFF INTO YOUR MOTOR :nono: (o.k.?)
It can cause bad things to happen.

God bless
Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel tank is full. I already checked all fuses in both the passenger compartment and engine compartment fues boxes with a meter - all are good.

Can I take off a fuel line coming off the tank to make sure test whether the low pressure pump in the tank is working?

I hate starting fluid too. Eats oil and causes nothing but problems. Don't worry, I only sprayed a little.

Thanks for yuor thoughts.

Andy

·
Registered
627 Posts
First, you do not have a low pressure pump in the tank. The pump on the frame rail is all you have and it is not really high pressure. The injectors are fired by oil press. Take the top off of the fuel filter housing and see if the bowl is full. Also see the condition of the filter. After ruling out a fuel problem, the next thing I would do is check the connection on the CPS. Are you getting white smoke when cranking it? No smoke in my book equals no fuel to the injectors. My thoughts.
jgr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thansk for your thoughts, I will check the fuel filter, but doubt that is the problem given it ran fine for 6 hours just before I backed into the tree. I bought a Hayes manual and am trying to read up on this thing. What is the CPS and where is the connection to it?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
627 Posts
CPS Cam Position Sensor. Located on the front of the engine, just to the right and below the water pump. There is an electrical connection to it. If it isn't working, the injectors will not fire. This CPS has caused a lot of trouble. Are you getting any smoke when cranking, either white or black?
jgr

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you actually reset the fuel switch or just look at it. Found one that looked set but wasn;t and needed an actual reset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No smoke when I crank it.

As far as the fuel cut off switch, is there a way to test it. I took the kick plate off and the switch was in the down position, I then tried to push it down further and it did not move. I then took a little nail and was able to push it up to what appeared to be the other position, and then puished it down again. How do you test the switch or by-pass around it?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had a nut come loose on my IPR. Intermittant hesitation. Finally pulling up the driveway it came off and the IPR moved. You may want to check it to see if the nut is on. Backing into the tree might have jarred it loose when you hit it.
Dann

·
Registered
2 Posts
No smoke when I crank it.

As far as the fuel cut off switch, is there a way to test it. I took the kick plate off and the switch was in the down position, I then tried to push it down further and it did not move. I then took a little nail and was able to push it up to what appeared to be the other position, and then puished it down again. How do you test the switch or by-pass around it?

Thanks,

Andy
Did you ever get your problem resolved?And if so what was it and what did you have to do

1 - 14 of 14 Posts