The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck died the other day after a couple of days of intermittent rough running. It would lose power and start to drop cylinders and putt right down to a crawl. after idling for a while it would run fine for a couple miles and do it again. It did this for three days and finally it made it about 100 yards down the road and died. Today I replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the FPR screen and it will not start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
How's the oil level?
Is the Wait-to-Start light coming on?
Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated?
Is the tach moving when cranking?
Are there any modifications to the truck such as a chip or tuner?
Is the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Valve and Fuel Bowl Wiring Harness plugged in?
What is the fuel pressure when cranking?
Take a look at all the wiring harness connections to the valvecover gaskets for evidence of melting or burning.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the oil was a little low so I added. I don't have a gauge to check the actual fuel pressuser but I depressed the Schrader valve while my wife turned the engine over and fuel came out but not at any high pressure. It was more if a slight stream of fuel. Also from what I could tell all the wiring harnesses were all connected.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Still a few questions left to answer! You can check the fuel pressure with a cheapo tire gauge (use a rag around the joint so you don't get doused with fuel). Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait to start comes on, check engine light is not on, the tach wiggles but nothing really high enough to register. I'll have to get back to you on the fuel pressure I don't have a gauge handy tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts