The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998.5 E350 7.3l Powerstroke
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, its been a little while since I last posted here. After resolving my fuel tank mess a year ago my van has been pretty happy till recently. Theres a lot of stuff that needs addressing but for this thread I want to start with the Radius Arm. I was under the van a few days ago looking at my drive shaft and pinion and noticed my Radius arm Bushings were toast on the drivers side so I removed them and they were so bad that the Radius Arm shaft almost wore through the hole in the bracket. So I'm also going to replace the bracket but the shaft is a little worn as well. It doesn't look so worn that it would snap but I was thinking it may cause the new bushings to fit loosely any thought? I would prefer not to replace the Radius Arm but am willing to do the work if needed. Also I will be installing new shocks as well. The bushings wore off where they attach to the lower stud.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I had to make a decision because I need to get this van back on the road in order to diagnose my drivetrain issues and after talking with a co worker who has some welding and blacksmith experience I figured it was better to be safe than sorry and replace the radius arm. His argument was that even though there was still 70% of the rod left the heat resulting from the friction of the bracket may have compromised the strength. Also the bushing might fit too loosely and fail again soon. IT also looks like the missing bushing on the shock may have cause that stud to wear as well adding to the equation. I have a new arm, bracket and shocks on the way!

·
Super Moderator
26,395 Posts
Good plan. You don't want to "*******" suspension parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, many years ago in my teens and before I knew what a Torque wrench was, a front axle I had installed on an old VW fell off while I was driving it! Needless to say I was shocked and confused as my front end grinded to a stop. There was very little damage as I was driving slow so after my mechanic friend lended me his Torque wrench. I re installed it on the side of the road and went on my way. A 1 ton van is a whole other ball game though! At least the undercarriage doesn't have much rust to fight with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts