The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe I'm typing this because I've never even come to making this mistake. I stopped to fill up on the way home. Had to do a 8 point turn just to fit into the spot next to the diesel. Dude in front was chatting with me as I went to pump the gas. We own all gas vehicles and I just wasn't paying attention and grabbed the 87 and filled it up. I had about 10 gallons of Diesel and added 20 gallons of gas. Didn't catch it at the time and drove it home (3.5 miles). It started sputtering a little when I was pulling into my driveway. Parked it and shut it down.

Thankfully, this isn't a regular use vehicle but I need to resolve the issue. Hope I haven't already caused major injector and lift pump damage.

I've done tons of work on the engine myself so I think I can drop the tank and start to try and resolve this.

Any tips/thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As you have already stated. Drop the tank , get rid of that fuel. Remove the fuel filter's. Basically you want to get as much of the contaminated fuel out as you possibly can. Disconnect your fuel lines at the engine mounted filter and get those drained. Way back in the day of full service gas stations i had a guy fill my tank with gas. I drove it a lot father than 3 1/2 miles before realizing what had happened. What i typed above was all i did and everything turned out fine. I'm sure some will say the injectors are junk. I personally would not replace them unless they actually are bad. 200$ a piece. Good luck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Its not good but it may not be the end of the world. Fuel dealers up here in the great white north used to cut their summer (#2) diesel with gasoline in the fall so it wouldn't gel up. They didn't blend it 2/3 gas 1/3 diesel mind you but .... you might be OK.

Good luck. We all have blond moments. The worst I ever did was put dyed fuel in my motorhome. I've never had the revenuers dip my tank ever but I was sure it was going to happen that time.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
You might want to put a good dose of injector lubricity additive in the secondary fuel filter (and in the tank) when you go to start it back up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You can use that fuel in your lawn equipment. If you have a older car you could use it in there. It's like a 50/50 mix so it's say put a 1/4 tank of your mix should be ok to use in the car.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. I am syphoning the gas right now and have gotten out about 22 gallons so far. Thankfully it didn't die on me so I'm praying it'll be ok, once I drain everything and install new filters.

Should I drain the lines from the engine mounted filter at the actually filter reservoir or disconnect them at the engine block, where the fuel goes into the fuel rail?

·
Super Moderator
26,917 Posts
There probably isn't enough contaminated fuel in the fuel galleries and supply lines to the engine to worry about.

You shouldn't need to drop the tank to empty it. Disconnect the fuel line on the outlet of the fuel pump and connect a hot lead to the fuel pump and pump the fuel out that way. You could also just use the fuel filter bowl drain valve to do that. Once you've pumped all you can out of the tank, drain the fuel filter and fill it with something like SeaFoam. Then add a couple bottles of lubricity additive (Standyne) to the tank and fill it to the top with diesel. I think you'll be OK.

I was out in the sticks in Canada once on the way home to Alaska, and a guy filled his tank with gasoline. Some locals were happy to help siphon it out (he was only 50 yards from the pump however). He refilled it with Diesel, and I saw him up the road later, so the only thing that happened to him was he paid for a tank of gasoline (at Canada prices :oops: ) AND a tank of Diesel.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks KLH. Could I also just open the petcock/water drain valve on the secondary(frame rail mounted) filter and run the fuel pump to empty out the tank? Wouldn't the fuel drain from there before it makes it to the primary filter assembly on the engine?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing, in the first part of the following video, is this where you are talking about running a hot lead to the fuel pump switch/wiring?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I'd just use this as an excuse to install a Beans micro sump!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Bean Machine Micro Sump

Here's the link to the Bean's micro sump in case you want to go that route. It would eliminate running the gasoline through the fuel pump, which you suggested, which could damage the fuel pump.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love the idea of the Beans Sump mod. I'm wondering though, could I just do the install for now, and not hook it up to the fuel lines, in the interest of time? It's winter where I live and I don't have a warm place to do a longer job. I see that the newer release of the Beans Sump includes a port for fuel return and also, a block off plug if you don't want to use that. Wondering if I could just do the install, to drain my fuel, and block off both ports for now, and continue to use the factory lift pump for fuel delivery. I can always go back and connect the Beans device once I have a nice summer day. I suppose I'd just need to find a 2nd block off plug for the fuel supply port...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Absolutely - an install now with the ports blocked off would be no issue at all. It would make draining the tank completely very easy.

If I ever have a fuel issue or an issue with my tank standpipe/pickup-foot, I know a sump will be going in!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Bismic. I love the fact that the sump also has a separate drain on it. If ever I get a load of bad diesel in the future, it'll be a piece of cake to drain it.

It's cold and raining today so for now, back to football.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pour a half gallon of the fuel mix into any gasoline car with a 20 gallon tank and you can use up the fuel mix eventually , no need to waste it.
Drain any reservoirs, like fuel filters in the truck. And I believe when you put key to on, the lower pressure pump runs a few seconds, Do that a few cycles off and on to force new diesel into the fuel system. It wont clear out the high pressure rail and injectors except by starting the engine

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Pour a half gallon of the fuel mix into any gasoline car with a 20 gallon tank and you can use up the fuel mix eventually , no need to waste it.
Drain any reservoirs, like fuel filters in the truck. And I believe when you put key to on, the lower pressure pump runs a few seconds, Do that a few cycles off and on to force new diesel into the fuel system. It wont clear out the high pressure rail and injectors except by starting the engine
LOL - we don't have a high pressure fuel pump in our trucks. We pump all the way to the injectors with the low pressure fuel pump (the ONLY fuel pump). But good technique to use anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW, my friend did the same thing in her truck, her insurance company paid for the repairs to the truck. At first they said no, and she argued if I ran into a tree you would pay it.......

·
Super Moderator
26,917 Posts
FWIW, my friend did the same thing in her truck, her insurance company paid for the repairs to the truck. At first they said no, and she argued if I ran into a tree you would pay it.......
Some insurance companies will pay for their policyholder's screwups.
A friend hit a piece of sheet metal on the road that punctured his oil filter. He saw the oil pressure drop to zero, but kept going for over 2 miles. Then called me to bring him oil and a filter. When he started it back up after installing the oil filter and refilling the oil, it sounded like a bunch of little guys with hammers inside the engine. The insurance company bought the replacement engine, because is was a collision with a road hazard. If he had pulled over immediately, he would have saved the engine. So ALL policyholders rates went up to pay for that.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Reactions: Stroking it
1 - 20 of 27 Posts