The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to take my old 05' F250 in to get the front windows tinted to match the factory tint on the rear windows. I looked around, and found a local place that had awesome reviews....400+ google reviews with an average of 4.5 stars. Apparently they specialize in tinting "high end" cars like GTR's, Ferrari's, Porches, etc, etc.....so that's where I took my truck. Cost me $80 to get my two front windows tinted.

They told me not to roll down the windows for 24 hours...I'm assuming that was to let the tint dry out. Well, after a couple of days I rolled down the windows...and saw this (see picture). Where they trimmed along the top of the window looks like crap....my 3yr old could have done a better job. It looks like they just free handed it. On the left side of the glass where it runs up to the top horizontal part, it's a nice and even 1/16" or so gap between where the tint ends, and the glass is. Then when they got to the radius, the tint goes right up to the edge of the glass...no gap. Then the horizontal part goes up and down....anywhere from 1/8" gap up to almost 1/4" the farther you go right.........maybe I'm just a sucker for details, but to me it looks like crap.

I know it's not a GTR or a Hellcat.....but damn, that's about the easiest part of doing tint....trimming it off the glass.

Should I just forget about it, or take it back and have them scrape the tint off and redo it all? Both front windows look about the same.

Am I overreacting?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Mine have looked like that since I got the truck in '11. I don't let it bother me much, since the window's either all the way up for AC or all the way down for outside air. I never really notice it anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
It does seem like a poor quality ameteur installation but $80 does seem like a very discounted price for 2 windows.

It would bother me too much to allow these to remain on my vehicles and I would attempt to work out a reasonable solution with the installer even if I had to drop another $40 and split the cost.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I agree. It looks terrible. I'd talk with them about it and see if there is anything they can do.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
It is typical for just about all tint jobs on side windows that roll down. They install the tint with the window in the up position so that they can get to the bottom of the window when it is up, this leaves the small gap up on top where the window sits in the gasket.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Then you will pay accordinly.

My 2016 Explorer has the same type of tint line on the front windows and as was mentioned earlier in this thread most will very seldom roll the windows down to even notice the line. I had my Explorer for a year until I noticed it and the only reason that I saw it was that a rock blew out the passenger side rear door window and I had to roll the front down a little to keep the wind from causing problems with no rear window. It created a weird effect that I have never experienced before. But with the front window down a bit it buffered it out.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was intentional to prevent the edges from catching the seal and lifting up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure that was intentional to prevent the edges from catching the seal and lifting up.

It's not about the gap...I know it needs a gap. It's how uneven the gap was cut. It goes from almost nothing on the left side, to almost 1/4" wide towards the right. How hard is it to cut a straight line?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks like crap. Can you cut the edge even and peel back the cutoff part?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello ! I just had my 2 windows tinted & they have the computer cut the blank out then put it on the window. I paid 180.00 for the 2 front windows I have a small space on top but it looks almost same all around. Thats not that bad but no harm in asking them to trim it better or just trim it down yourself but dont take too much off just make it look even. 80 is not a bad price.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Roll the window up and then take a sharpie and trace where the gasket hits the window, then roll it back down and see what it looks like. It might not be the tint but the window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts