The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched this engine on the net and it seems to have a few design flaws, such as no deck and small head bolts causing head gaskets to blow. One diesel mechanic told me, if it isn't leaking oil, it's fixin to blow up. Does anyone have any positive comments on this engine?

The truck in question is an 1985 LN700 with allison transmission, 202k on chassis, 85k on engine. It has a 65' sign crane run from a Miller Bobcat 225. Asking price is $12000.

I don't need a service nightmare. Tell me straight, gentlemen.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Turbo or NA Version? One of the fleet customers that I work for has an 80's C6500 with the 8.2 NA, he absolutely hates it. Empty, the truck has no problems pulling, but once the gooseneck is hooked up with 15-20K, it is gutless and will drop from 65 to 25 up a hill. We had another one that had done some damage to the bottom end, oil pump went out IIRC, and driver didn't catch it, destroyed the crank, bearings, etc. Reman 8.2's are available again from DD I found out recently, but could not tell you a price range.

HTH
Buddy

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Having personally worked on them I found the best use is a BOAT ANCHOR. Don't even think about them. Get the truck if it worth it and repower with one of those yellow things. Clatterpillar or Cumaparts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i have had two 8.2 engines in single axle dumps,and bought a 3rd about 8 months back in a distributer truck. all have been ok,but they are by no means my first choice in engines. they are a little hard to start below freezing,and dont take the texas heat to well,when loaded to the max. all 3 are fuel misers,and do a fair job when loaded. the 230hp i had was fuel efficent,and had no prob toteing the mail.i have been told that 150k miles is about all one is good for under working conditions.seen some that didnt make it that far,and some last a good deal longer..

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
"If God was my co-pilot, I'd switch seats!"

Ya know the difference between God and Fighter Pilot?

Answer: God doesn't think he can fly a fighter. (fighter pilot joke)

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I can see there is at least one exception on here but every one I have personally seen has broken quite expensively at one time or another and that was back when parts and support were available, nowadays you are on your own and besides the fact they are miserable to drive. They also turn ridiculous high RPM so if you want to repower you will have to change the rear axle at least and also readjust the transmission.

Birken

·
Registered
911 Posts
the 8.2 is a POS run away.....besides what everyone else said...they have no liners it is a parent bore block...and even a top notch mechanic takes 5-8 hrs to tune one up correctly.....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i asuume the exception is me! dont be mistaken in to thinking my good fortune with the 8.2 is promoting them. but i will buy a good running one in a truck,if the price is right and the truck is not a primary daily user. if the engine swarms,i will repower it with another,or as mentioned a 3208 cat,been there done that. as i stated in the first post,it not my first choice in engines,but under certain conditions it's not a deal breaker either.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Well here is what I would suggest when looking at trucks powered by 8.2 Detroits of which there are still a lot of yet (trucks not engines, the engines are mostly all broke by now), since they often have one of a kind bodies on them that the buyer is after, is to buy them under the assumption that the motor will grenade the day after and no more will be available, and that you will either have to repower (which would involve modifying the axle, PTO accessories, and transmission) or else re-chassis. Then if the motor happens to keep running that's all money in the bank for you but don't forget to save some for a tow bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But buying one with the assumption that it is going to keep running is foolish.

Birken

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
This should do it. THEY DO NOT MAKE THE ENGINES ANYMORE. Now just try and find parts. They quit making them 15 years ago. Need parts? Keep looking. Repower time.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Thanks, I needed that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The 8.2 is a complete POS! Aside from the constant oil leaks, they don't make very good power. I absolutely hated everyone I have run.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i absolutely hated every one i had to work on....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well here is what I would suggest when looking at trucks powered by 8.2 Detroits of which there are still a lot of yet (trucks not engines, the engines are mostly all broke by now), since they often have one of a kind bodies on them that the buyer is after, is to buy them under the assumption that the motor will grenade the day after and no more will be available, and that you will either have to repower (which would involve modifying the axle, PTO accessories, and transmission) or else re-chassis. Then if the motor happens to keep running that's all money in the bank for you but don't forget to save some for a tow bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But buying one with the assumption that it is going to keep running is foolish.

Birken

[/ QUOTE ] very good point of view,and a smart way to look at buying one. they are hard to work on,anything with the fuel system is more complicated,even simple water pump job is not the easiest thing to do. aftermarket remnans can still be bought however,and finding one in a salvage yard is still doable. in fact it's sometimes easier to find an 8.2 in a wreck,then it is a dt466. 466's sell like hot cakes in my region.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
smart, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Very smart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts